I have been looking for this recipie for a long time.Made this tonight was like i remembered form 80s.I recommend that after deep frying put on rack on cookie sheet and rain before serving.Mix can be found according to chi chi product web site at target.I was lucky enough to find at my fruit market.Thought id share
Chi Chi's Beef Chimichangas Recipe #313765
Delicious recipe that is quite similar to a popular Chi Chi's restaurant dish. Seasoned ground beef and cheese are rolled in a tortilla, smothered in green chile sauce, topped with sour cream and sliced green onions. I adapted this from a posting at recipelink submitted by "Jill". It is important to use Chi Chi's restaurante fiesta seasoning mix. Don't skip the sauce or garnishes. Enjoy!
1 hour | 30 min prep
SERVES 6 , 6 chimichangas
• 1-1 1/2 lb ground beef
• 1 (7/8 ounce) package Chi Chi's restaurante fiesta seasoning mix
• 1/2 cup water
• 3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
• 6-12 inches flour tortillas
• vegetable oil
• 8 ounces green chilies, 2 cans 4 ounce each (do not drain)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon
• 3 cups water
• 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1/3 cup water
• sour cream
• 1 bunch sliced green onion
1. In a saucepan mix the sauce ingredients (excluding the cornstarch and water). Bring to a boil, lower the heat and continue to simmer stirring occasionaly while you complete the recipe. It should end up reduced to about half. Once reduced stir in the cornstarch mixed with the water. Cook until thickened and set aside.
2. Brown the ground beef, drain, and stir in the fiesta restaurante seasoning mix and 1/2 cup water and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Divide the meat evenly on the tortillas (1/3 of the way down the tortilla) do the same with the cheese.
4. Roll the tortilla (starting at the end with the meat/cheese) after rolling once, fold in the ends and finish rolling. To hold it together you may need to use toothpicks or a flour and water mixture to seal them.
5. Fry until golden brown or bake in the oven.To bake in the oven: brush with vegtable oil or butter and bake on middle shelf at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Finish under the broiler for approx 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Watch carefully when under the broiler.
6. Serve with sauce over the top, garnish with a dollop of sour cream and sliced green onions. I usually serve this with some shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes or refried beans.
© 2009 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com