• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muzette7
    Administrator
    • Oct 2006

Chai

Would anyone know how to make a good home made chai? I like the oregon chai from the box, but how about making your own. Also any chai recipe would be good. I mad a chai cake once but it just tasted like a regualr spice cake and was heavy not worth the time it took.

And just on the off chance that anyone would have a good kava kava recipe I would like that also, anything that makes it tast not like dirt, if that is possible at all.
  • Coll'sCookin'
    • Jun 2006

It seems to me that there was a recipe for Chai some time ago. Did you do a search? I'll see what I can find.
    I love this stuff!

Colleen

Comment

• Coll'sCookin'
      • Jun 2006

night-angel
      Posted July 16, 2005 12:23 PM

I was so impressed with this clone of Mystic Chai Tea Mix!!!!!!!!!!!

Instant Chai Tea Mix
      1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
      1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
      1 cup French vanilla flavored*
      powdered non-dairy creamer
      2 1/2 cups white sugar
      1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
      2 teaspoons ground ginger
      2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
      1 teaspoon ground cloves
      1 teaspoon ground cardamom**

Directions
      1 In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer, sugar and instant tea. Stir in ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.

2 To serve: Stir 2 heaping tablespoons Chai tea mixture into a mug of hot water.

Note:
      You may choose to omit the French vanilla creamer, and use 2 teaspoons vanilla extract instead. To do so, mix the vanilla into the sugar, let it dry, then break the sugar into small lumps. Follow the same procedure as above.

You can spice it up even further by adding 1 teaspoon nutmeg and allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper. Makes 36 servings.

RE: Mystic Chai Tea Mix Recipe
      *I omited the french vanilla coffee mix and instead added the vanilla to the sugar as suggested. If you are a fan of spiced chai- this is your recipe!
      **Cardamon powder is very expensive. If you have a coffee bean grinder, buy the whole seeds (much cheaper) and grind them to a powder yourself)

Comment

• Coll'sCookin'
        • Jun 2006

ucmellon
        Posted February 03, 2006 05:51 PM

Indian Chai

1 1/2 cup water
        1 cup milk
        2 tea bags
        6-10 whole cloves
        1/2 t fennel seed
        1" piece cinnamon stick-crack with hammer
        2 cardamon pods-cracked
        2 T rounded sugar or to taste

In a meduim pan add spices to water and heat. When it begins to boil, add the tea bags and sugar. Boil for 1 minute, then add the milk. Bring back to a boil, turn heat down and simmer 1-2 minutes. Strain to remove spices and bags. Can add honey just before serving.

This soooo good and you can adjust to make stronger, sweeter and use more milk than water. I don't like cardamon so I omit.

Comment

• sfo-stephb
          • Jun 2006

thanks for sharing, my parents were just asking about this. I cheat and buy the instant stuff from Trader Joe's. Really good but nothing beats homemade. Thanks for posting.
          http://cookinginanapron.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X