X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Christine
    • Jun 2006

Making buttercream icing to hold up in hot weather

Hello Since we have summer now, and I do a few cakes, is there anything I can add to the buttercream icing to make it hold up in the hot weather? Thanks to all. I just don't need it melting.
  • Ritter_woman
    • Jun 2006

I hear you, I made a cake one year for my dad for father's day, and I lived 25 miles away. I had no airconditioning in the car, and the icing melted all over the place.
    www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

• slacey
      • Jun 2006

I agree, real buttercream is hard to make stay. I use the Wilton frosting recipe when I need to take a cake somewhere. It is pretty good in the heat and has a good flavor. Not _real_ buttercream, but better than a gooey mess.

Wilton Frosting

½ c. shortening
      ½ c. butter
      1 t. clear vanilla
      4 c. powdered sugar
      2 T. milk (or until correct consistency)

Blend all together.

Comment

• Coll'sCookin'
        • Jun 2006

This brings back memories of my wedding cake "melting" on our wedding day almost 11 years ago (this month). The hottest 6/30 on record!

Are oyu worried about it while on a table or during travel?
        Can you put it in a cooler packed with dry ice?

Good luck.

Colleen

Comment

• Ritter_woman
          • Jun 2006

Well, you know, I thought about that. This weekend coming up, I am making my nephew's graduation cake, and I live about 2 hours away now. I was thinking about gettng one of those frozen things you put in coolers and put it under the cake box. Maybe wrap it in a towel so it won't sweat thru to the box.

By the way, this is what I am doing for his cake. My sister is going to email me his graduation picture, and I have his kindergarten graduation picture. I was going to put his HS pic as a 5x7 in the middle of the cake, and his kindergarten pic in a small oval on a corner. I don't have one of those printers that have food dye inks, so, I print the picture, and put it in a clear ziplock bag, and cut the bag around it. Then I pipe icing around the pictures like a frame. I did this 10 yrs ago for my sis's 30Th bday, I had a copy of her infant hospital picture printed up, and did the ziplock bag thing. Actually, I think I used clear contact paper then, but they both work great.
          www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

• Sewcute
            CopyKat Chatter
            • Jun 2006

Just a thought...ok, 3 thoughts:

Wilton sells a stiffening powder used for meranigues (sp?), I think I have heard you can also put it in buttercream.

I have found a website that helps me out alot! It is also a series on cable channel 21create (if you get that) www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com there is a section to "Ask Nancy" the expert.

Couldn't you laminate the pictures, and pipe around it? The laminate would look "neater", and might leak less...preserving the picture. I laminated wallet size photos and embedded them in soap one year for Christmas gifts...looked AMAZING! It might work for cakes as well...I think I might try it !

LET US KNOW how it works out!!!

Comment

• Rubelishous
              Master Chef
              • Jun 2006

Can you ice the cake when you get where you're going?

Comment

• mash0209
                • Jul 2006

Using the Wilton Frosting would work good for you and also add the meringue powder that sewcute mentioned. It will give it a stiffer consistency. Good luck!
                Mary

Comment

Working...
                X