X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manzanita
    • Oct 2007

Whiskey Weenies

I serve these during the holidays & the grandkiddies lap them up!

1 1/2 cup catsup
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup bourbon
    1/2 cup water
    2 pounds cocktail wieners (or smokies)
    1 chopped onion

Combine catsup, brown sugar, bourbon & water in crockpot. Add wieners & onion, stirring well. Cook on low setting at least 1 hour. Gets better throughout the day.
    "WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS
  • Manzanita
    • Oct 2007

[QUOTE=jxsie]These sound so good and easy! I'm going to make them for Thanksgiving. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention. My daughter suggested adding a little liquid smoke to this recipe, so I tried it last Christmas. Just a few drops (less than 1/4 tsp) worked well & boy were they good. My husband said he didn't care for them with the liquid smoke, so it's a toss-up as to whether I'll add it this year.
    "WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Comment

• TexAnn
      Master Chef
      • Jul 2008

Re: Whiskey Weenies

The alcohol should be cooked out. It doesn't take long for alcohol to cook out when it is heated. These do sound quite yummy! Thanks for the recipe!
      Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

• floridagirly68
        CopyKat Chatter
        • Sep 2006

A study by a team of researchers at the University of Idaho, Washington State University, and the US Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

* alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat - 85% alcohol retained
        * alcohol flamed - 75% alcohol retained
        * no heat, stored overnight - 70% alcohol retained
        * baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture - 45% alcohol retained
        * baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:
        o 15 minutes 40% alcohol retained
        o 30 minutes 35% alcohol retained
        o 1 hour 25% alcohol retained
        o 1.5 hours 20% alcohol retained
        o 2 hours 10% alcohol retained
        o 2.5 hours 5% alcohol retained.
        The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

• kirkland
          • Jun 2006

I like to take the weenies and wrap in bacon and bake in the oven until the bacon is crispy. YUMMY!!

Comment

Working...
          X