• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • livetobake
    Master Chef
    • Jun 2006

Peppermint Bark

In my swap package I got some peppermint bark that has my DGS begging me to go buy some more. I think it would be easy and fun making if I knew how. It has chocolate on the bottom, white on the top and the crushed peppermint pressed into that. Would I use the white bark or white chocolate chips melted with a touch of oil? I have both just not sure which would be better. He really wants more and I would love making it with him.

TIA
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.
  • AllieK
    Master Chef
    • Jun 2006

Re: Peppermint Bark

something like this?

http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/07/layered-peppermint-crunch-bark.html

(or) this:

http://www.chocolate-candy-mall.com/peppermint-bark.html
    Last edited by AllieK; 11-17-2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• luvs2eat
      Grand Master Chef
      • Jun 2006

I think the quality of the chocolate... the white chocolate especially... is so important in barks. I made peppermint bark last year and used white almond bark. I had to throw it away, it smelled bad... sort of chemically or plastic-y... and tasted gross. I tried it again using Ghiardella white chocolate and didn't like the taste of that either!!
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

• AllieK
        Master Chef
        • Jun 2006

I was reading somewhere that you have to get the kind with real cocoa butter in it, and not the kind with just chemicals.

Comment

• jackibowen
          CopyKat Chatter
          • Dec 2007

This is the recipe we use ever year:
          http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Layered-Peppermint-Crunch-Bark-5739

We tend to buy the chocolate from Whole Foods. I think it's Callabut(sp) and we break up candy canes instead of the round candies.

My DD started making this for her friends about 5 years ago.

Comment

• janni
            CopyKat Chatter
            • Aug 2006

DS and DIL made lots of sweet things for the baby's Christening and one was the pepperment bark. I asked for directions on how to make it on Friday while they were making it.

They use Wilton Candy Melts - Light cocoa (chocolate)
            White chocolate (whatever it is called)
            about 6 candy canes

They don't measure anymore so I don't know how much candy is used for each layer.
            They melt the candy melts in a double boiler.
            They melt the light cocoa ones first and pour the candy onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
            Let cool in frig until firm.
            Melt white melts in double boiler - let cool a bit and then pour over chocolate and spread.
            While white chocolate is still warm, sprinkle crushed candy canes over and let cool.
            When entirely cool, break apart into pieces.

Wilton Candy Melts can be melted in the bag in the microwave and then poured onto pan from bag.

Comment

• livetobake
              Master Chef
              • Jun 2006

Thank you so much.
              Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
              He drew a circle that shut me out.
              But love and I had the wit to win,
              We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

• Sewcute
                CopyKat Chatter
                • Jun 2006

the better chocolate you use the better the outcome will be! So using REAL chocolate would be better.
                I purchase the Ghiradelli bulk at Sams and LOVE it... both dark and white... but I see Luvs doesnt. its your pref!
                I dont measure wither, I melt proable a pound of dark, and spread it on a foil lined cookie sheet. Let it cool SLIGHTLY. The CAREFULLY pour a pound of melted white on top. Again, letting cool slightly. Cover with crushed candy canes.

Lately I have been adding peppermint extract (1-2t) to the white after melting. Then spread and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. I like the flavor better... more refreshing.

Comment

• jackibowen
                  CopyKat Chatter
                  • Dec 2007

If you have a silpat it works great for making peppermint bark. so I use that to line the baking sheet.

Comment

Working...
                  X