Recipe substitution... Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe substitution... Help

I want to make a new recipe tonight but the sauce that you serve over the chicken cordon blue uses whipping cream, can I use something else that is much lower in fat but will still give a nice rich taste?? TIA
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to pick on rich women than biker gangs.

Kula.. make a roux with butter & flour ("I cant belive its not butter" butter to keep it low fat) when the roux is brown in color add slowly FF chicken broth .. and season with S&P and chopped flat leaf Parsley (or dried) and add some lemon juice and zest

The sauce should be thick & creamy and lower fat .. and have good flavor to it.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Comment

Thank you so much for the great idea, I'll try that.
      People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to pick on rich women than biker gangs.

Comment

Depends on what the creme is susposed to do. It also gives texture. You might want to try half and half or whole milk. Land o Lakes makes a fat free half and half that isn't bad, but it doesn't really help with texture at all.

Comment

Originally posted by StephanieM
          Land o Lakes makes a fat free half and half that isn't bad, but it doesn't really help with texture at all.
          I love that stuff, but you're right only in certain recipes. You really need the heavy cream for some recipes, but the FF Half & Half has worked out great in a lot of recipes for me.

Comment

me too. You can add a little parm or asiago or lowfat cream cheese if you need more thickness.

Comment

Thanks all, i'll let you know what I end up using. I knew you guys would have all the answers I need.

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas, I actually used both, I found a low fat half & half but it didn't want to thinken so I made a roux to thicken it. The family was very happy & so was I because it was lower in fat. Again, thanks for all the help.

Comment

Here's one of the link's i use when looking to substitute something.
                  www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

Comment

Thank you Rescuedpanther, I'll keep this for future reference.

Comment

Working...
                    X