Anyone know about growing roses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about growing roses?

I was thinking about planting some roses. After you plant them, do they bloom the next year or does it take a few years of establishing like peonies? Are they easy to take care of? I saw a picture of a climbing Joesph's Coat that was beautiful, and am wondering if they would work well on a chain link fence. Thanks for any help.
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail.... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun!"

My DH tried a rose garden years ago. They take alot of time, pampering and knowledge! Don't attempt one until you have researched it! JMHO!

Comment

go to Jackson Perkins website, great bareroot roses to purchase and lots of info on how to grow them. never had had a prob with them if you buy them grafted on hardy rootstock.

Comment

Get them locally is my advice. I think they ere really easy to grow. Pruning is quite easy too.You can find lots of stuff on the net telling you when to prune or feed etc.

Either that or go to the library. I think they grow like weeds.

Oh...and if you plant in the Spring they will flower the same year!

Comment

Roses

I have two beautiful rose beds in my front yard. I have had them for about 12 years. They love sunlight and require lots of water. There is the old saying they don't like to get their feet wet which means to plant them in a small mound. I prune my bushes all year long and always cut down when a bloom dies to the next section below.We fertilize them with a 13-13-13 and they are beautiful. The main problem I have is ants. they will make a bed under the rose so you need to really be on the look out for them. I have to replace a few each year due to ants killing the roots. The best time to buy roses is in January when they all come in. If you live near Lowes, I buy them there. Good luck but if you decide to do it buy a Mr. Lincoln it is a deep red with big roses.

Comment

I'm getting rid of all my rosebushes. I'm tired of messing with them. I do like the shrub roses, no care at all to them. I put 3 of those in by the fence line for color. I agree, do alot of research!

Comment

I dont have roses either, but watching this post closely to learn because I want to plant some myself. Last year I saw rose bushes at Big Lots for $1.99 each (the kind that have the roots in plastic bags with the branches sticking out - they were about 2 feet tall). For that price I could have planted tons of them, but I was afraid to buy them because I assumed they would be hard to take care of.

Comment

For years, I would buy my mom a rose bush for either Mother's Day or BDay but none have really done much. The best success she has had are climber roses or miniture ones that trail up a trellis.

Comment

My experience is they take a lot of pampering and TLC, pruning, spraying, and fertilizing. I have a couple, but none do that great. I am rooting an old timey running variety right now, with tons of tiny double pink blooms...hoping I will have better success with it.

Comment

I love roses too, but I don't have a lot of time to pamper them. I buy the cheap ones mainly and then plant them and give them the same care that everything else gets. If they don't come back, then I haven't lost much. I find they usually come back without any problems. I have a couple of shrub roses too. They're really pretty, but they tend to grow very large and bushy if you don't prune them well and they're so hard to prune because they have tons of tiny thorns that like to travel to your hands and any other part of your anatomy that they can reach.

Comment

I love roses. They really are not that hard to care for. They do like a mound and my favorite fertilizer was ozmocote. I always pruned mine back every February and they did great. You do need to cut the blooms off once they are done blooming and that way you should get double the next time around. I don't have any, where I live now, but they say the ones I planted in Atlanta are still beautiful. My favorite were my bush roses. I have never seen so many roses in one place in all my life. When we build our home in a couple of years I will definitely have an entire rose garden
                      Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well I think the roses will wait until next year. I had car troubles today and it's going to set me back quite a bit more than I have. lol. So, no new plants for me. Next year though, definately some roses. Thank you all for your suggestions and tips and experience. I appreciated all comments.
                        A good friend will come and bail you out of jail.... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun!"

Comment

Hi everyone, decided to join in . I was a new member on the old site and don't have a lot of time to post but I enjoy reading all the tips and discussion when I can.

Anyway, I am a beginning gardener and discovered Knock Out Roses last year that bloom from June until October. They are virtually maintenance free. All I do is use Miracle grow once a month and cut them down to about 6" before winter. They are not only beautiful but if I can grow them, you can too. I am hoping to figure how how to post pictures and maybe I can show them. I always enjoyed fatkats photos of her garden labor.

Comment

Working...
                          X