Strangers asking for money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangers asking for money

How do you deal with strangers coming up and asking for money?
    I have this happen to me quite a bit. Usually I'm in a parking lot of a store getting ready to get into my car or its at a gas station when I'm getting gas.
    I had this hippie looking dude who was riding his bike come up to me the other day. The kids and I were loading groceries in the car when he came up and asked if I had any spare change. I immediatly said "Hell No I don't!" really loud so that it would attract other people's attention in case he was trying to rob me or something. He then rode off,but not after I started ranting really loud.I just started saying in a really loud voice..."Do I LOOK rich??" "Do I have a sign above my head saying ask me for money??" I was pretty irate as you can tell. I don't know why people ask me for money like that. I have the crappiest(however you spell that) car in the known universe. It has no paint job and a huge dent in the fender. I'm wondering if I do have a sign above my head saying "This chick has money to throw around!!"
    Maybe I just look like a sucker..I don't know.
    What do you all do if your in this situation??

It really depends on the mood I'm in. I'll either say no, or just ignore them completely. I have to admit that I have given money before.

Comment

I usually tell those kind's of people "Sorry about your luck, but If I wasn't saving for my Mother's or (Any Relative's name) Head Stone i'd help ya. "

Comment

This has happened to me.

This just happened to me a few weeks ago while in the city. Some moron came up to me outside a nice restaurant and asked did I have any money I could spare. He gave me this whole song and dance about how he had been driving for 2 days and him and his buddy were so tired. They just wanted a hotel room. I told him that I didn't have any cash and left it at that. These guys were driving a nice car with our state tag on it. Our state is not that dern big. Why couldn't they just pull of for a quick nap and drive on home? I think they wanted beer money or something. After I turned them down, they moved on to another parking lot. I also don't like the people who solicit money outside grocery stores for this cause or that cause other than the Salvation Army bell ringers at Christmas.
        Spicy food speeds up your metabolism. Put salsa on your cupcakes.

http://find-teresa-butler.tripod.com

Comment

This happens mostly to me with a deaf women. If I had money I would give it to her, then I worked with her daughter and found out thats its illegal and the cops were always getting onto her. She has solicited me once since then and I told her no. Also, now I know she lives in a household that has plenty of money, so its not like she hungry or in need, so I don't feel awful telling her "no". Like Jana, it really does depend on what mood i'm in, I usually give something if I have some spare cash.
          Those that do not know how to weep with their whole heart don't know how to laugh either. ~Golda Meir~

Comment

I say I dont have any extra money ....no extra cigg's etc ...

Thank God this doesnt happen often!!! I dont have a lot of patience to listen to sob stories ...we all need money, some of us believe in earning it! go to welfare and ask for help not to the working people ...okay I could go on but thats enough

Comment

I also do not give.

Comment

I do not give...just ignore and keep walking. I did have a friend in college that would buy homeless a hamburger once in a while.

Comment

I just tell them that I do not have cash I only carry my bank card, but now that I think about it I guess I shouldn't tell them that either.
                  Last edited by Amber0024; 06-03-2006, 07:31 PM.
                  I'm out of bed, and dressed what more do you want?

Comment

Strangers Asking for Money

I had this happen to me about a month ago in a WalMart parking lot here in Las Vegas. I was getting out of my car, and an older woman (probably 75 or 80) came up to me and asked if she could wash my car windows for a dollar. She caught me off-guard, then I said "sure" and gave her a dollar. I went into WalMart, got my stuff and came back out and she was hanging around the area. She asked me if the windows looked ok. I told her they were fine. It really bothered me after I thought about it, ---how or why such a clean, WalMart type lady would have to resort to doing this? I wish that I'd given her more and knew what her situation was!

Comment

I had one, who said he was deaf, and, after I told him I didn't carry cash & he turned away, I yelled & he jumped. Some deaf!

Comment

i used to once in awhile, but not anymore. they dont even want jobs, since they make $200-$300 a day. esp if they have kids with them. dps took away a lot of children from these people a few years ago. they were hanging out at the freeway offramps, and the babies were getting sooooooo sunburned. got two stories from when i was in cali.

went to gas station one day and this girl came up to me asking for a couple of dollars. said she was on her way to a job interview and ran out of gas. she was clean and very nicely dressed. i believe in helping others who are trying to help themselves, so i gave her a couple of bucks. a few weeks later......same station, same girl, different nice clothes..........SAME STORY! told her u got me a couple of weeks ago........go away! so she went to others in the station and i followed and told them it was a scam and that she had scammed me. she got into her car, the one that was out of gas.........and drove away!

one of my customers was at the park and a kid he said was around 7 came up and asked for money for food. said he was hungry. my customer said he would buy him some food, but not give him any money.he walked around the park with the kid, asking do u want this place? that place? finally the kid said, mister, see that guy over there? that is my dad. and if i dont bring him money for his drugs, he is going to beat me. well the kid was talking to an off duty police officer lol. the kid got food, the dad got arrested!!!!!!! chop
                        http://weatherpixie.com/index.php?&h...=AZ&place=KFFZ

i didnt loose it! ...........i sold it on ebay!

Comment

I hate to admit it but I once had a man knock on my window in a parking lot and he told me this huge story about leaving his wallet at home and that him and his family where on a trip.. needless to say I have him $10 and found out later he does this all over the place.. he did the same thing to someone I knew at the Grove City Outlet stores.. I was scammed.
                          ~ The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must
                          be felt with the heart ~ Helen Keller ~

Comment

Where I live we have several "known" homeless folks that carry everything they own in backpacks and bags and never once have they approached me for money and if one did I would certainly give them something. It just does not happen that I know of.

I have given to the homeless in Key West, the man that is missing both his legs in a wheelchair ~ I see him there every time I go on vacation. I have given him spare change before.

Comment

Chop I have seen waaay too many off ramp people! we took the same way every day for at least a year ...well needless to say there was a man there every single day with a sign and he would look rite into our vehicle at us, as we had to slow for a traffic signal where he stood like a statue daily. he was there in the am and in the pm. I have no respect for him...he is willing to put in a full day and daily standing there taking money from those going to and from work yet he will not go work????? not getting one red cent from me!

Oh and in Florida they sell pan handling permits...go figure!!
                              Last edited by wishingstar; 06-03-2006, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X