Teenage Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenage Words

Yesterday I stumbled across something that had a list of current slang used by teenagers, I think it was in the May 2006 Good Housekeeping. Lo and behold it cleared up a few things for me. I've seen people use the wording "My bad" and thought what the heck does that mean. I have a friend that I talk to mostly through e-mail and she uses it all the time. I thought it was really bad spelling but apparently not. It means "my mistake"! Ok, so now I understand that it's not just bad spelling.

It's a mystery to me how these things happen. I'm sure I say things that were creatively created somehow but it puzzles me.

Anywords you don't know?

Am I the only one who finds it irritating when adults talk like babies - my bad, sammies etc.

Comment

I'm with you North! Adults should act and talk like ADULTS!!

Comment

Hope this isn't a "hijack"... DH uses a few expressions/words he thinks are cute, and I find them very irritating! Example: "sanyard" for sandwich, "buddy-milk" for buttermilk, and "warty" for water. None of our children used those goofy words! Why does he think they're clever?!!!

Comment

Forgot what I was saying to DS a few days ago in the car, but his reply to me was "WORD!!!!" . I was clueless. Anybody know what it means? I meant to ask him but his cell phone rang, so I just stared at him and shook my head.

Comment

I saw that same article in the magazine. Very interesting. As a parent, it's a good idea to keep up on those things, ESPECIALLY DRUG SLANG!!
            Skittles=dextromethorphan DXM
            three c's=Corsyden Cough and Cold
            fi-fi's=fentanyl
            wet, wiggles=PCP
            e=excstacy
            rollin'=high on excstacy
            DFFL=dope forever, forever loaded

and that's just a FEW

Comment

Cottun--I thought "WORD" meant what's up. DD#2 says it means "Sweet, or OK, whatever." That word "WORD" has alot of different meanings. Of course, she thinks I'm a big goober.

Comment

Great thread!!
                I've got one. What does "emo" mean??
                Also, dd says that the 'peace sign' to to the side (pointing inward) means
                "peace", but I'm not so sure, anyone know for sure?

Comment

"emo" is a type of person that listens to a type of music and dresses accordingly...a dark type....the old "goth" perhaps?
                  see here:

http://www.fourfa.com/

Comment

my kids say that 'emo' is like emotional, dark and down; jut like Maddison said.
                    A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

Yes, "emo" is the derivative of "emotional".

Comment

bump for lexxi's mama

Comment

I thought peace sign to the side meant "SUP" or what's up. I'll have to check with DD's.

Comment

emo

Have a 17yr old DD Emo are people in tune with feelings, guys are skinny wear tight jeans and sometimes wear eye liner. Even the girls were the same hair cut, short, messy & maybe different colors. DD isn't emo but we have a few friends that are. Sometimes they kind of look weird but once you get to know them, they are nice, just teens trying to find themselves. Emo kids are not into sports.

Comment

there's one word in the teenage language that I absolutely hate... it's "WHATEVER!!!!" ...translated: "I'm losing this argument but I'll be darned if I'll back down now"
                              I never thought the comment, "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6' pole"
                              would become a National policy, but here we are...

Comment

Working...
                              X