Do you have Arthritis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have Arthritis?

I was diagnosed with it yesterday and I wasnt ready for this. I went to the doctor because my left knee makes such a crunching noise when I come down the stairs that it can be heard by anyone who is already downstairs. Doctor says to keep taking off the weight and keep it off, stop the high-impact exercises and the leg presses at the gym (I was really loving these!). Ice my knee twice a day and take 2 Aleve twice a day to help with the inflammation. I know I'm a nurse, but I am really being a big baby over this. I didnt want to have arthritis! Wahhhhhhhhh

I've been tested several times for RA with negative results but tests come back positive for polyarthritis and really not sure what that means but I think it could be that I could or could not have RA. Time will tell

Comment

You have the right to be upset . Try to follow docs advice.
      He is correct about the weight thing. One pound of weight equals 3 pounds of pressure on a joint.So if you are 20 pounds over weight your knee joint is grinding 60 pounds of pressure.Thats like tieing a 60 pound sack of sand to your knee and waliking around all day with it.OUCH!

So yes you will feel a great amount of relief if you lose weight.

I take Advil ,alieve did not work at all for me.

Let up on the weight trainning till you get weigh under control and inflamtion goes down.
      Try riding a stationary bike or using an Elliptical machine once you feel better.
      hang in there things will get better
      Last edited by Honey Bunny; 06-09-2006, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Cotton, I sympathize with you. I have fibromyalgia, lupus, and arthritis. My lupus is the type that affects the joints. When I flare, I can hardly walk. Controlling your weight is a big factor as well as the type of exercise you do. I have just started an arthritis foundation approved aerobic exercise at the Y. I really can't tell how it is going to do since I have only gone 2 times.
        Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

I too have rheumatoid arthritis. So bad that I had to go on disability. Just saw my rheumatologist yesterday and he believes that I also have fibromyalgia. I have to take a very potent "cocktail" of medications.

Comment

yah i do. doc told me he saw it on the mri for my knee. but then he said......u are 50, so it is to be expected *sighs*. i dont wanna get old!!!!!!!!!
            http://weatherpixie.com/index.php?&h...=AZ&place=KFFZ

i didnt loose it! ...........i sold it on ebay!

Comment

I have psoriatic arthritis (kind of like rheumatoid), it takes a very expensive, potent combination of drugs to keep it under control. I was recently told that I now have the beginnings of osteoarthrits as well. It's the pits.
              "Raising teenagers is like nailing Jell-o to a tree."

Comment

I have arthritis and I take Glucosamine tablets every day. I think it's helping because my hips are now less painful. I know that my knees would benefit from me losing weight. We're well into our coldest winter for several years so I'm blaming the cold weather.
                I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

Working...
                X