Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to keep the *%!* Squirrels away from my Bird Feeders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to keep the *%!* Squirrels away from my Bird Feeders?

I am Fed up already and Spring hasn't even sprung yet!

Do you have a fool proof way to keep Squirrels away from your Feeders?
    He's even eating the Grape Jelly! Ugh!

I already have a Corn Cob feeder just for them but of course that isn't working. Hummmppff
    **Life may not be the Party we had hoped for....
    But while we are here, we might as well Dance
    .....**

Mix Cayenne pepper in with your birdseed. They hate it. I have several feeders and it really does help. Doesn't bother the birds, just critters.

Comment

We just noticed some bird feeders yesterday where they made a hole in a metal bucket and put it facing down on the pole... there's no way those little buggers could get around that bucket to get up the rest of the pole! We're gonna try it!
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Or Grease The Pole And They Won't Be Able To Slip Slide Up The Pole. Use Spray It's Easier.

Comment

This is what worked for us --

1. start feeding the neighbor's cats
          2. observe Mama Kitty in heat
          3. let Mama bring all five of her yunguns over to your house.
          4. VIOLA -- no more problem.

-- of course, we've stopped filling the bird feeders since we don't want to provide fine dining for the cats.

and, 5. FIX all cats .

Comment

My Opinion And We Are All Allowed To Have An Opinion Is That I Would Stop Feeding The Birds.
            SHEL

Comment

i have found

a 22 works well...just kidding..

Comment

Yeah, you're probably right that to stop feeding would solve my problem.

But it's NOT an option. You see I do it in Memory of my Mother.
                She was a Cardinal Lover, and my Dads home to this day is filled with all of her cherished collection.

We have attracted 2 pairs of Cardinals to our home by feeding and they are just breathtaking to look at. Also Gives me comfort to think of them as
                being my Mom reincarnated!

I'll just put up with the varmants.

P.S> Thanks for your ideas
                **Life may not be the Party we had hoped for....
                But while we are here, we might as well Dance
                .....**

Comment

The only way I've managed to keep the squirrels out of my feeders is to buy the special feeders. Mine are several years old, can't recall the brandname now. Got them at Lowe's and they are green, square, and pretty big. We mounted 3 of them on trees and another my dh put on a pole for me. They have a tension bar that the birds sit on and then they can eat the feed. But if a squirrel sits on it, the weight pushes the bar to far down and closes off the seeds so the squirrel doesn't get any. I've had them for years and they really do work. I think I paid about $30each.

Comment

Originally posted by Lhazeleyes
                    Yeah, you're probably right that to stop feeding would solve my problem.

But it's NOT an option. You see I do it in Memory of my Mother.
                    She was a Cardinal Lover, and my Dads home to this day is filled with all of her cherished collection.

We have attracted 2 pairs of Cardinals to our home by feeding and they are just breathtaking to look at. Also Gives me comfort to think of them as
                    being my Mom reincarnated!

I'll just put up with the varmants.

P.S> Thanks for your ideas
                    yep, i would have to keep feeding them if this was the reason. i guess i would just keep looking for the right feeder. good luck
                    SHEL

Comment

Originally posted by CalicoSkiesNC
                      The only way I've managed to keep the squirrels out of my feeders is to buy the special feeders. Mine are several years old, can't recall the brandname now. Got them at Lowe's and they are green, square, and pretty big. We mounted 3 of them on trees and another my dh put on a pole for me. They have a tension bar that the birds sit on and then they can eat the feed. But if a squirrel sits on it, the weight pushes the bar to far down and closes off the seeds so the squirrel doesn't get any. I've had them for years and they really do work. I think I paid about $30each.

I second this type feeder - they're wonderful.

Comment

I like the kind that when a squirrel sits on it, the weight turns on a motor and SPINS the bar so the squirrels go flying! I think it would be great entertainment- flying squirrels.

I have my feeders on shepards crooks. I have a flat metal collar that attaches to the crook, below the feeders. The squirrels can't climb up and get past it.

Comment

Working...
                        X