Fridge took a poo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge took a poo!

I was lucky and caught everything before it thawed completely! The freezer stuff was only part way. So stuck it all in our chest freezer. Pulled out all the fridge stuff and put in ice chests. So I need a new fridge. GRRR. Anyone have any suggestions? This one was a Whirlpool side by side. It came with the house when we bought it 3 1/2 yrs. ago. So far I have had to buy a new stove, replace the dish washer and now the fridge!! Maybe this is the last..The LG's are pretty well priced and the GE's are also. MY GOODNESS the price of refridgerators about knocked me flat! They didn't use to be that expensive! I have to have an ice maker. I hate doing trays. Thanks for listening and any suggestions would be appreciated. I will look at around when I am in town for dd's chorus performance. We do have a Home Depot and a Sears.

Sept. 2007 ,I bought an LG with botton frezer. I LOVE IT!!! I bought it from Sears, as Sears will stand behind any product they sell. I have a GE side by side,water and ice through the door, I HATE!! no room in them. I now use it in a back hall and store sodas, extra milk and it come in handy during the hoildays but I hated it for everyday use., I paid $749.00 for my Lg. It also has sensors that beep if the doors are open very long.
    Last edited by Kayce; 04-28-2008, 09:28 AM.
    I organize chores into catagories.
    Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

Good Thing You Caught It!!!
      Last Year My Parents Went Traveling For A Couple Months Dad Turned Off The Electricity To Everything He Could, And Flipped The Wrong Switch And Turned Off The Freezer That Had Just Been Filled With Beef!!! They Never Could Get The Smell Out Of The Freezer. Had To Get A New One!

Comment

Good thing you caught it. We came home from a trip once and the fridge in the garage went out. Had to throw everything out, all was spoiled. Got the refg. / freezer fixed , turned out to be a minor thing. Cleaned it out real good, and it is still running. Good as new, it is a Sears/ Kenmore .
        I just bought a new fridge for my kitchen. Used to have a side by side, hated it, absolutely hated it. Not big enough.
        I bought a Kitchen Aid, bottom freezer ( drawers) and the fridge on top, with two doors, so it looks like a side by side on top, but when you open the doors you see that the shelves go all across as one, or you can move them whichever way you like of course. So you can store big platters or bowls or whatever. It's stainless steel. I love it. Yes, it was expensive, but I plan on having this one for several years.
        Just wanted to add, the fridge in the garage , Kenmore, has the freezer on top, it's 18 years old, and had only 2 minor repairs in all those years. yes, I would buy Kenmore any time.

Comment

Kenmore Is What We Almost Always Buy, The Washer/dryer We Bought 2 Yrs Ago, A Different Brand Because Of Price, Is Already Leaking, Should Have Stayed With Trusted Brand!!!

Dh Has A Fridge In The Shop Also, Have Used It When Had Too Much To Fit In Kitchen Fridge, And He Said It Was A "law" Had To Put A Fridge In The Shop! Lol

Comment

The second fridge comes in so handy, to store extra soda, beer, wine or whatever year around. But it really comes in handy when you have a party or the holiday meals, wouldn't want to be without it.
            I feel the same way about having a double regular wall ovens. It's so nice not to have to move stuff around at holiday time to keep things warm, etc. I love my double ovens, I wish now I would have gotten the warming drawer also. On a daily basis I don't need all that, but when you have people over, it's so wonderful to have all that.

Comment

Thanks for all the help! I went looking today and have decided I want the French door one. With the two doors on top and the freezer bottom. I found one for about $1400. Glad to have some feed back on that design Sabine! They have an Amana at Sears anyone heard of that brand? They have a LG at Home Depot but it is smaller, but I like it also.

Comment

We have a Kenmore side by side, the largest one Sears had 3yrs ago, with water/ice on the door. It works great and I love it. I don't get the freezer on bottom idea, I don't want to load and unload a freezer on the bottom, I grew up with one and didn't like it then...wouldn't like it now. Hard to organize, hard to fit everything in. Consumer Reports has done a nice write up on fridges within the last 12mo, check at your library.

Comment

All I can say is I will NEVER, EVER, EVER buy another Whirlpool........And, I wouldn't recommend one to anyone either. I HATE mine!!! The dadgum thing started falling apart 6 months after we bought it. My Mom bought one not long after we did, and is also having major problems with hers..

First off.. The "suction" created when opening the fridge, caused the shelves in the door to "pop" off.. So, no matter how many times they came and replaced the shelf thingys, I have never been able to use my gallon storage shelf. The plastic light covers, - all MELTED. We haven't been able to use the icemaker or the in the door water dispenser since about 7 months after we bought it. For some reason, water leaks out of the fridge and floods the kitchen when we do, so we had to shut off the water to the fridge.....There are cracks on the inside of the fridge. It is ONLY 6 years old, and we paid about $1200 for the stupid thing!!!

Mom started finding metal shavings in her ICE!! ??

So, please. AVOID THE WHIRLPOOL REFRIGERATORS!!!!
                  Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Lauren, tell us how you really feel!! lol
                    I've heard of Amana, suppose to be a good brand, but have no personal knowledge that it really is. If/when I buy a new fridge it will be the once with the fridge with 2 doors on top and freezer on bottom. I hate my side by side, can't get big platters in there....don't get me started! lol

Comment

I have an Amana freezer on the bottom unit and I absolutely love it. I have had it since 1987. It runs great but is starting to be in need of some new seals (minor repair) and one broken shelf on the door. I would definitely buy one again. I think Amana was one of the first to come out with the freezer on the bottom. I wouldn't have it any other way. My freezer is a swing door type and has a shelf in the middle. Most are not made this way anymore, which is a shame because I like how it opens.
                      A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

Ha Lauren!! Mine that just died was a Whirlpool! Worked fine up until yesterday. I don't know how old it was since it was here when we moved in 3 1/2 yrs. ago. So I guess we had it good for awhile!! LOL

Thanks Hunebe! I was hoping someone would know about Amana. So far that is the one I want. There is two I like here locally. I like the LG too, but I would have to take a trip to Salt Lake City. I really don't want to take that drive. It is 4 1/2 hrs. away! (Gas Prices and all)

Thanks ALL!!

Comment

Amana has been around along time. I replaced a cook top three years ago, it fir was an Amana and it lasted 20 yrs. I recently replaced my dish washer with an Amana as I like the style as well as the price If Sears sells Amana as I said in my first post they will stand behind anything they sell.....That said if my built in space would have held the french door bottom freezer, I'd have one...and $1400.00 is a great price.
                          I organize chores into catagories.
                          Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

The side by side fridge in my kitchen was an Amana, came with the house. When we replaced earlier this year it was 20 years old, running just fine, no problems. The only reason we replaced was ....... I hated the side by side ! LOL My old dishwasher, also came with the house was Amana, again 20 years old, running fine, noisy as can be, but running. I bought a new one, Bosch, and it's so quiet, it's wonderful. My cooktop is also Amana. So I have only good experience with Amana, even so I didn't chose these appliances.
                            Years ago a Sears appliance repair person told me that all of the Kenmore appliances are actually made by Whirlpool , they just put the Kenmore label on it. I don't know if that's still true today.

Comment

OK! I bought the Amana French door model. It is a lot BIGGER in the house than at Sears! hehe I love it so far. Thanks guys for all the help it made it a lot easier knowing some have used this brand before...Here is the link..Hope it works since I haven't posted one before...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04660222000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Refrigerators&sName=Bottom+Freezer+Refrigerators&filter=Energy+Savings%7CYes%5EIce+Maker%7CYes

Comment

Working...
                              X