Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luvkidrock
    replied
    some years I have good parents and some years I don't. This year I have had a couple that just drive me crazy. They are completely against anything that I do to try to help their children, but all they want to do is punish them for bad grades. I teach a group of children that are only a few IQ points away from our Special Education classes. These parents should not be punishing them when they are doing their best. So it puts me in a situation that I hate to send home any bad grades.

also have one parent that any time he hears of lice, he shaves his kids heads....sure hope that kid doesn't get the scabies, I guess the dad would have to cut off his arm ????

Leave a comment:

• Sabine
    replied
    Originally posted by luvkidrock
    People that talk bad about teachers really don't understand what we all go through. It is a tough job. I don't think that people actually believe that until they try it.

Most people won't even babysit for 2 kids at a time. We babysit for 20 to 24 at a time all day long. We are supposed to make them WANT to learn and we are responsible whether they do or not. Plus we have to make sure they wipe their noses...teach them how to act in public because a lot of parents don't do that anymore, play nurse, and mommy. I love it, but I think most people think we have a very easy job.

Oh and my child with scabies is still out and I had 2 more absent today
    and on top of ALL that , you have to deal with the parents and sometimes deal with your Principal or VP, who may not be supporting, no it's not easy.

Leave a comment:

• luvkidrock
    replied
    People that talk bad about teachers really don't understand what we all go through. It is a tough job. I don't think that people actually believe that until they try it.

Most people won't even babysit for 2 kids at a time. We babysit for 20 to 24 at a time all day long. We are supposed to make them WANT to learn and we are responsible whether they do or not. Plus we have to make sure they wipe their noses...teach them how to act in public because a lot of parents don't do that anymore, play nurse, and mommy. I love it, but I think most people think we have a very easy job.

Oh and my child with scabies is still out and I had 2 more absent today

Leave a comment:

• Machele
    replied
    Taught special education for 18 years. I have been counting my blessings this year. We haven't had ONE case of lice in the whole district this year. We only have 6 weeks to go-

I remember years when I was working closely with a child when I noticed their head was crawling...... usually as I am leaning over them.

Special Ed teachers should get combat pay! I remember one woman who asked if we could swap kids for the next couple of weeks, as she was afraid she would get head-butted weeks before her wedding (loose front teeth, black eye, bruises). It comes with the territory.

Leave a comment:

• luvkidrock
    replied
    Originally posted by Sabine
    I had a case of scabies when I was working in the school system, didn't even know what scabies was, until I went to the doctor. We had some pretty dirty, smelly kids in our school, they were bused in from another part of town because our school serviced the deaf children and other handicaps for the district, large district. And I am sure that's were it came from. And I am not saying that someone who is deaf or handicapped is necessarily dirty , but some of those kids were.
    And so were some of the parents, sorry to say.

My student is EXTREMELY dirty. I can't stand it.

Leave a comment:

• Ro-Ro
    replied
    Yikes, as I read this....my head is itching!

Leave a comment:

• Carol
    replied
    HI Luvs,

I'm a teacher too and we use the old hair conditioner treatment system, as it suffocates the lice and it is much better for your hair rather than using those nasty chemicals.
    I have included the link to an Australian education department site that has three pages of info and details about using hair conditioner as a way of getting rid of headlice.

I hope this helps.

Carol

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/media/downloads/languagesupport/headlice/infosheet/english.pdf

Leave a comment:

• DinDin
    replied
    Mayonnaise or anything with oil helps but stinks.

Leave a comment:

• Ro-Ro
    replied
    Luvs,

I didn't go too heavy with the hair spray -- some of the teachers went overboard with it but I think if you give it a spray all around the hair once is good.

Leave a comment:

• Sabine
    replied
    I had a case of scabies when I was working in the school system, didn't even know what scabies was, until I went to the doctor. We had some pretty dirty, smelly kids in our school, they were bused in from another part of town because our school serviced the deaf children and other handicaps for the district, large district. And I am sure that's were it came from. And I am not saying that someone who is deaf or handicapped is necessarily dirty , but some of those kids were.
    And so were some of the parents, sorry to say.

Leave a comment:

• luvkidrock
    replied
    I just sent a student home today that the school nurse thinks has scabies......wow....i haven't seen that in years.....head lice is so common now and all year, I don't even think about it anymore.

as far as the abusive children, more and more we are seeing these types of things in public school because every child has the right to a free and equal education....as a teacher, I sometimes question where are the rights of the "normal" child???? I am not knocking any child with a handicap, but I just don't think that public school is the best option at all times.

Tell your dd to hang in there, it will get better ...I promise...this is my 17th year.

Leave a comment:

• Coll'sCookin'
    replied
    Originally posted by luvs2eat
    What a good idea! I'll pass that on to her! Did you have to use so much that your hair was kind of sticky or hard?
    Supposedly they don't like Tee Tree Oil either. Get some shampoo and use is exclusively as a preventive.

Also, if you have long hair, run a flat iron or curling iron over thin clumps/strands of hair from scalp to ends. This will get the nits that are on the hair shaft away from the scalp. The lice shampoo is a must too if you have them.

They are all over our school too. Makes me itchy just typing this!

Leave a comment:

• muzette7
    replied
    Ugh my kids got it once when they had hair down to the middle of their backs. It took about a month and short hair cuts to finally get rid of them. We tried everything, scrubbed and washed and sprayed every thing, it felt like we were in a loosing battle. Finall we got rid of them by using the Rid shampoo every other day for about a week. I dont know if you were supposed to use it that much, but it was the only thing that finally worked.

Leave a comment:

• luvs2eat
    replied
    Originally posted by Ro-Ro
    I always protected myself from head lice from the kids by using Hair Spray...it worked for me and the rest of the teachers in my pod.
    What a good idea! I'll pass that on to her! Did you have to use so much that your hair was kind of sticky or hard?

Leave a comment:

• Ro-Ro
    replied
    I always protected myself from head lice from the kids by using Hair Spray...it worked for me and the rest of the teachers in my pod.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X