ARRRG My Microwave is dying!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARRRG My Microwave is dying!!!

*POUT* I was heating up some water for hot cocoa tonight and all of a sudden the dog jumps up and this big noise starts coming from the kitchen. We (dog & me) go in the kitchen and the noise is coming from the microwave. The fan thing inside on the top of the oven.
    Well I guess I should have figured one day it would have to die. I bought it for my parents when I came back from basic training, in 1979. So it has lasted 20 years. Oh man I dont want to buy another one.
    Any ideas on a small cheap one. Don't want to spend much at all. Thanks.

Huffle
    God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Huffle the death of a microwave is a very sad thing, especialy since you had it so long. Yes, they do die off. Microwave had a good life and rest in peace. Guess what the new ones are so much better . Just go for it and look around think you will get a nicer one. Try Best Buy. I really don't care about the brands anymore, just the features. Anything would be better since that microwave was so old. Wish you luck sorry to hear about your loss.

Comment

You will be surprised at how much cheaper they are now!

Comment

But you'll also be surprised by how much shorter their life span is now too. We bought a new one in 1989. And another new one in 2001 and another new one last year.

Don't go for the really small ones. They don't have the power necessary to cook some of those convenience foods in the times specified on the packs. You'll probably be able to get a decent one for around $100.
        Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

I bet they weigh a lot less now too. Mine weighs about 75 pounds, Seriously.
          Yeah this one cost about $250. So they had better be cheaper. Tonight is the night garbage goes out so I guess I'll have my son drag it out there. So sad such a long life. hahaha

Huffle
          God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

v

I just got a great deal on a microwave at HH Gregg. Normally $200, for $117. It's an over the range type, recessed turntable and all the good features. It's a name brand only I don't remember which one and I'm too lazy to get up and go look, lol. My old one died too. It would turn itself off and on! Scary..

Comment

If you cook a lot of things like popcorn i.e. things that are very low. It wears out a part, my repair person asked me how much popcorn do we make and it's lots, he brought the part and it was a very inexpensive repair. My micro wave is a Panasonic Microwave Convection oven and it's probably 22 years old. He also told me it was worth repairing I think we did the repair 5 years ago. It's worth checking into.

Comment

You Can Buy Them All Day Long For $20-30, They're Not Huge Ones, But They're Microwaves

Comment

I got the cheapest one I could at wal mart, it was around 50 dollars and has been going strong for a year now. It is much smaller that what I was used to, but then I figured it was really just used to heat up water and frozen dinners so it works well for us.

Comment

I got a new one a couple of years ago and I made sure I got one that has the turn table, beats having to turn dishes half way through cooking time.

Comment

I got mine about 30 years ago. It is a Penny's label made by Litton industries. It not only microwaves, but also does convection cooking and broiling. (I do most of my baking in it in the winter time. From the first of April through October, I bake in a countertop convection oven that I have on a cart on the patio.) My micro doesn't have a turntable -- I have one of those that they used to sell that you wind up and it runs while I am microwaving. If this one ever wears out, I plan to get a smaller one that does both microwave and convection cooking and has a turntable built in. They now cost about one-third what I paid for this 30 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X