Store bought vs. Hand crafted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Store bought vs. Hand crafted

I am shopping for cribs (mostly online) via ebay, stores, craigslist and anything else that catches my eye. I have some time so I thought I'd get a headstart. My husband threw out the idea that maybe his dad would build us one. Do you think due to the price of lumber that the crib would cost just as much as a pricey new one??? I want a dark brown one and I feel like those are the most expensive right now. What gives? I am only doing so becuse the hard wood floor in the nursery is this color and all of the trim and closet doors. Any advice?
    www.thenewmommiezblend.blogspot.com

Considering the amount of time and effort it would take for your FIL to build a crib (not to mention worrying that it might not exactly meet the safety standards required) I would be shopping for a commercial one. (My DH is a woodworker by hobby and I know how long projects take him because he cannot devote all day every day to them)

But also, have you looked at the ones that can be changed into a youth bed and then finally into the head and foot board of a double bed? To me, they would be worth the money because you could get so much more use out of them--instead of just a crib that the baby might use for 2 years.

As far as colour is concerned, guess it is just personal preference. If my hardwood was dark, I would be going for a natural or even white crib to brighten up the room.
    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Where do you live? I have a lovely Amish store a mile down the road. If they don't have what you want they will build it for you. As they are REAL Amish run by Amish, they are not open on Sundays.

I guess if FIL likes to do woodworking..... It may be more solid and well built than the ones you might find on the affordable list. Built to order- nice.

Comment

I would LOVE to have a crib that was built by Grandpa. What a cherished heirloom it would become! I vote for the hand-made one.

Comment

Originally posted by alidoremi
          I would LOVE to have a crib that was built by Grandpa. What a cherished heirloom it would become! I vote for the hand-made one.
          That's what I was thinking also. It can be handed down for generations. If FIL has the time I would tell him to go for it.

Comment

It would be nice if FIL did make it, maybe find a picture of a crib that you would like so he has an idea of what you want. If you say no to FIL, he maybe hurt. He is making it from his heart.

Comment

Working...
            X