Are you stockpiling food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you stockpiling food?

I've always kept emergency food in the house, and with the rising costs of everything I've started picking up more than usual of non-perishables and paper goods when I shop and storing it in an extra closet.

I've enlargened the garden space, picked up a greenhouse and plan to grow more food as well as preserve more for the off-season. I'm wondering if I can sneak a couple of "pet" hens in the back yard, too. Because of gas prices, I've cut out all unneccessary spending and driving.

I'm sure many of you are doing the same, and I'm wondering how many of you actually are doing the same thing(s), what items you feel are important to hoard away, your concerns over the always-rising prices and if you think it is coming to a time when family and/or neighbors will need to band together and help one another through hard times. Every time I go into a store, prices have risen and it is to the point of shock on many items.

Any thoughts on this subject?

I am not going to try to stockpile a bunch of food. When I moved I tossed out honestly 4-5 hundred dollars worth of groceries. I didn't toss, I donated all of my canned goods to the food pantry in town, and my friends got the meats. I found I tossed a ton of food I wished I wouldn't have, and it was money that I had wasted. I am really trying to now buy things that really get eaten, and no more, with maybe 2 - 3 weeks extra worth of food.

Comment

I've been stocking up on t-paper and paper towels, but if I run out I'll be washing towels more often. Also dry staples and putting it in the freezer. Flour, cornmeal, sugar, dried beans etc.Got some butter on sale for $1.79 a few weeks ago and bought extra.

Just a thought maybe this is where a lot of the stimilus checks will go ,grocery and gas.
      I organize chores into catagories.
      Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

Good for you for thinking ahead and growing your own. I have stock piled on food but not on purpose. I'm very bad at buying food saying that I'm going to make it and then come across something else to make and the other stuff accumulates. What I find myself doing more now to save money is buying more of the generic brands. On certain items like sugar or whatever you can get by without a big difference in taste. The other thing I've been doing more is shopping at the Dollar store. What deals you can find there sometimes. Just the other day I bought Colgate for my kids at the Dollar Store for a buck and it was a double package....so that made it .50 a tube.

Comment

I have always tended to buy more of things when they were on sale... I am thinking that if for some reason, we were trapped in our home, we could probably live for a couple of months or longer with no problems at all...as far as food goes..

Speaking of Stimulus checks... I heard this morning that Kroger is offering to add money to yours if you buy a Kroger Gift Card with your check.......So, like if you use $300 of your check to buy a Kroger Gift Card, they will add $30 to the Gift Card....
          Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

i have always stockpiled stuff when it is on sale, esp if i have coupons. my befief has been, if i have the extra cash and room, and it is something we go thru a lot, get it! u should see my pantry lol!
            http://weatherpixie.com/index.php?&h...=AZ&place=KFFZ

i didnt loose it! ...........i sold it on ebay!

Comment

Okay, no stimulus cheque here but I always shop the sales especially for paper and canned products. If I have coupons too (which we just don't seem to get as many of) that's an added bonus. Over the last 20 years I have seldom had to buy toilet paper at the regular price. And if I buy meat at the regular price, it is because we're having company and I don't have anything suitable in the freezer. Love my freezer.
              Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Are you stockpiling food?

I also LOVE my deep freezer. I don't know what I would do without it. Wish I could come across a good sale on cheese right now, I have gone thru my stash. I always get my groceries on sale and combine that with coupons. I very seldom even get clothes unless they are on sale. I never buy Pringles unless they are under $1.00, boneless chicken breast unless $1.99 or lower, etc.I used to always never buy cheese unless it was $1.99 lb and then stock up-but there has been no sale like that lately. We are actually cutting back on our garden this year, we will have maybe 6 tomato plants, green peppers, zuchinni, cucumbers, but will leave out corn-never have much luck with it, and I am trying to decide if I will grow pumpkins for the 2 grandkids. We have a bi-level house, and I have a nice closet under the stairs for all my xtra stuff-food, toliet paper, kleenex, etc. that I stash away. When last son moved out a few months ago, I filled up a couple of his shelves with peanut butter, juice, etc. from my stash. I don't think we are headed for a depression, but it will be close to it. People have been over-extending themselves for a long time.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of store brands too! Having to read labels carefully... I often find that the store brands not only cost less, but often have BETTER/less altered ingredients!! The brand names are using high-fructose corn syrup while the store brands are NOT!! One brand name canned corn adds salt AND sugar, while the store brand is nothing but corn!
                  "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I am definatly a hoarder, but I think it has more to do with having a large family. I am going to make a bigger garden this year, I am hoping to get 60 tomato plants in, but sometimes I get lazy and I grow more weeds than anything! I am big into canning, so if ther is any recipie you are looking for I probably have it, I consider it my hobby. One thing I havent bought in a while is rice, have you seen how crazy high the prices are?

Comment

I have always stockpiled. Each week when I go to the store, even if my budget is tight, I buy one extra can of veggies, fruit, tuna, soup, canned milk...if I have the extra, I buy a case of something. I have a huge storage closet for canned goods, and use the attic to store paper products. Meijers will occasionally have a buy 1 get 2 free deal on laundry detergent, so I usually have a years supply of that on hand. This has come in handy on more than one occasion when there has been no money for groceries.

Comment

I wouldn't call it stock piling but when there is a sale on certain canned foods I will stock up.

Comment

I've always stockpiled food too, but I am trying to quit. Because the reality of it is that there's nobody here but me now and its ridiculous. A few weeks ago I posted about finding bacon on sale for $1.00 a pound so I bought 20 pounds. I've only cooked one pound since I bought them, and every time I looked at it in the freezer I thought "Yes it was a great deal, but the reality is, I will never eat all of that!" So I ended up giving most of it away to my kids for their own homes. And they were so delighted to get it! When I gave 10 pounds of it to my oldest daughter, she said "You know, your problem is that when you find a great deal, you just want to buy it all up so nobody else will get it!" She may be right, because my buying habits make no sense for a woman who lives alone.

Comment

I have to add that when I sold my house and moved last year, when I was cleaning the attic, I found 2 boxes of canned goods and 10 gallons of spring water. My husband had bought them for the "Year 2-K" scare back in 1999. All of it had to be thrown away because it was out of date.

Comment

I have never stockpiled food and I am not planning on doing it now. There is just the two of us, and I go to the store a couple times a week to buy FRESH produce and meat etc. Can't stockpile that anyway. I have a well stocked pantry, but nothing excessive. I buy what we need, when we need it. I am very fortunate that I live close to major food stores, Costco and Sam's, and the military commissary, all within 10 minute driving time. So running to the store is no major deal.
                              I had a mil who stockpiled. When she had to be put in a nursing home and we went into the house, she must have had close to 50 cans of soup, tuna etc. most of it many years old. Every time she went to the store she would stock up on soup and tuna, it was ridiculous, of course all of it had to be thrown away in the very end. What a waste of money.

Comment

Working...
                              X