Beer Batters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Batters

I like to use beer batters on several things. But, I live in a dry town, and DH doesn't drink anymore so we don't have beer on hand anymore. The grocery store has the non-alcoholic beer, will that work as well as the alcoholic beer?
    Thanks,
    Jackie

I guess you didn't like my suggestions of using club soda , LOL, that's ok ,I can take rejection

Comment

dry town? What the heck is that?

Comment

It means they can't sell alcohol in the city limits. Have to drive 10-12 miles to get any alcohol. and I don't want to drive to the beer store everytime I want a beer batter.

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7
          dry town? What the heck is that?
          There are quite a number of "dry" towns and whole counties here in Texas even today. SO's hometown is one of them. You go out to dinner and you can't get a beer or mixed drink. Now they serve alcohol at the country club, but not in restaurant. Stupid laws, so totally outdated. Like here in SA you can't buy beer or wine on Sunday morning in the grocery store, only after 12 noon, why ?????? LIquor stores are closed on Sundays. But I can just drive 5 miles down the road to the military base and buy all the liquor I want all day long, all day Sunday. Go figure, makes no sense.

Comment

Yes, non-alcoholic will work. It's the yeast or malt in the beer that makes the batter light & crunchy, not the alcohol.

Comment

Anybody have a T&T beer batter recipe?

Comment

I think Nu does. I bet she will post it later, she is busy with grandson right now.

Comment

I substitute any liquid the recipe calls for, with beer. I mainly use it to fry chicken, shrimp, onion rings, & tempura veggies. If the recipe calls for beaten egg, I add the beer to the egg before beating. My kind of cooking is "a little of this and a little of that". I seldom stick to a recipe.

Comment

I know what a dry town was- even heard of a dry county. But hey, I live in Wisconsin, beeer capital of the world.... drink more brandy per capita than ?, and we have more problems due to how WET it is!

Comment

Thanks yall!

Rube this is the recipe I use. I've used it for almost every thing I've fried, for veggies, I leave out the chile powder, and add Creole seasoning. I've done the same batter using vegetable broth in place of beer and left out the salt, Had a great flavor but too salty.
                      this is really good when frying dill pickle slices also!! (and onions,and...oh hell everything!)

DEEP FRIED JALAPENO SLICES

1 CUP ALLPURPOSE FLOUR
                      1 TSP SALT
                      1 TSP PEPPER
                      1 TSP CHILI POWDER
                      1 TSP GARLIC POWDER
                      2 EGGS
                      1 CUP BEER
                      2 CUPS VEGETABLE OIL
                      2 CUPS SLICED JALAPENO PEPPERS

MIX FLOUR, SALT, PEPPER, CHILI POWDER, GARLIC POWDER, EGGS, AND BEER TOGETHER IN A BOWL. IN A DEEP FRYER OR LARGE POT HEAT OIL TO 265 DEGREES. DIP THE SLICED JALAPENOS IN THE BATTER. PLACE BATTERED JALAPENOS IN DEEP FRYER. THE JALAPENOS ARE FULLLY COOKED WHEN THEY FLOAT TO THE SURGACE OF THE OIL. THEY SOULD BE GOLDEN BROWN AND CRISPY.

Comment

Working...
                      X