Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you know anything about "Labor Laws"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know anything about "Labor Laws"?

I have worked for Pepsi for 21 years. A requirement of my Job is to work 1 Sunday a month anywhere from 12 to 16 hours. I have always been paid at the rate of time and a half.

Today I was approached by my Boss and he asked if I would be willing to take a day off during the week instead. I was shocked at first but now I'm actually pissed! This is Bull.

Can they do this? I looked up in Minnesota Labor Laws but It isn't defined enough.

Do you have any knowledge to share?
    **Life may not be the Party we had hoped for....
    But while we are here, we might as well Dance
    .....**

Sounds like the company is trying to save some money. Was the Sunday work written into your Union contract? Or did you mean that they want to pay you regular time on Sunday and you take off a day during the week as well??
    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

In NC I know they can offer you comp time rather than OT. I work for a bank and we have to work 2 Saturdays per quarter, and if you are full time you cannot get OT, you must take comp time during the week before your Saturday. Parttimers get paid straight time, of course. The fulltimers I work with hate this because we are always shortstaffed and they can never take their 5hrs in one block, always have to take 1hr here and 1.5hrs there. Its not truly your COMP time if you can't take it when you need/want it. I've never thought it was fair, but I do know its legal.

Comment

They probably can do this legally. Are you union? If so, everything should be clear as mud in your contract. If you're not union they can do it and you won't necessarily make the overtime money. It's all up to the company and what's in the handbook/union contract. Some companies require you to work a certain number of hours/wk before OT pay kicks in, some have it written out that Sundays you'll make a shift bonus, etc. But, I'm guessing they know what they are doing and it's probably not illegal. Kinda stinks!

Comment

This is what really **BITES**.

This is a Union Environment...but 3 of us in this building are Clerical and Non Union.

The Union People that are required to work that Sunday along with me
          WILL GET OVERTIME. They are proposing that I Do Not get O.T. and take a day off during the week instead.
          **Life may not be the Party we had hoped for....
          But while we are here, we might as well Dance
          .....**

Comment

If you are not union, then they can do it. Labor laws cannot tell a company how many hours to give their employees.
            This is why unions are so important.

Comment

Yep...union contracts do protect you from company tricks like that. Otherwise you don't have a leg to stand on. Could you and your other two clerical workers join the union?

Comment

This is getting so scary when ven large companies like Pepsi need to start getting cheap.

Comment

Pepsi doens't have to give time and a half on Sundays. I am sure you are watching this, but make sure you aren't going over 40 hours and missing any overtime that you are entitled too. You can always say you would rather have the overtime, but it is likely they are wanting to eliminate the overtime. Many hourly jobs do not have the opportunity to earn extra money by working extra like you were.

Comment

Working...
                  X