Foods that bring back bad thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foods that bring back bad thoughts

I was in the mayo thread and someone (forgot sorry) said their friend had huge mayo jar sitting on the table & it looked so bad and now she hates mayo. Funny how certain foods remind us of bad times. For me, egg salad, I was newly married & just got a house, no money we both were working & had to take a loan from DM to pay for Xmas gifts, I ate egg salad everyday to save money. I can't eat it anymore because I ate so much of it. Corn Pops cereal I wanted a Little Miss Pop doll that you had to send boxtops off to get this doll. I ate so much of that too, I did get the doll but can't eat cereal anymore.

Green beans with liver and onions... My mom made it twice a month, dinner was at 5 and I'd have to sit there til my plate was clean. Couldn't do it, so I'd sit there til my bedtime at 9 pm... To this day, 40 years later, still won't touch the stuff...

Comment

Jana, I had the same problem with fish and seafood. My mom made me sit there until gone. When my children started telling me things they don't like I told them fine I would never force you to eat them. I just remember that dreadful time sitting there. It's as if they can't grasp that a child of theirs would not like the same foods they did.

Debbie
      Never regret something because at one point it was exactly what you wanted!

Comment

foods that bring back bad thoughts

My mom would cook turnips and potatoes and put them in a bowl with butter, I would just pray I would pick a potato because if I got a turnip, Dad would make you eat it whether you wanted to or not. You "had" to take something from each bowl.

Comment

Campbell's Vegetable Soup (Alphabet soup). I had it when I was 8 years old and threw it up and to this day it just looks and smells like vomit to me.

Comment

I dropped a jar of Miracle Whip and had to clean it up. By the time I was done I was almost gagging at the smell and never ate it again!

I remember sitting at the table till it was dark cause if I didn't eat the ham w/ raisin sauce, I couldn't have one of the cupcakes w/ orange chiffon icing my mom had made. I didn't eat the ham and didn't get the cupcake!

I barfed up cauliflower... won't eat that anymore either.
            "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Miracle whip does have a nasty smell, but I like cauliflower and I have a great recipe, roasted cauliflower. It's good.
              My mother used to make a lot of stuffed cabbage rolls, I hated cabbage, so I would eat the filling , usually ground beef, and give the cabbage to my father. My mother used to get so mad at me and my Dad for indulging me.

Comment

oatmeal had one too many bowls as a child LOL

cracklins hated them in cornbread then and now even if it is pork!!! heehee

there is more I am sure!

Comment

Kool-aid! When I was pregnant with DD I was mixing some up and the smell of it made me so nauseous, and it still does! It never bothered me before I was pregnant with her, and thats been almost 30 years ago and remembering that smell has never gone away!

Comment

I forgot to add turtle ....my mom cooked it and it seriously gagged me like cottun even the mere thought of it still sickens me to this day and duck ...no can do!

Comment

When I was around 8 years old and not feeling well, my Mom made me drink hot tea and I threw it up. To this day, I cannot stand any kind of tea. Hot or cold.

Comment

Milk. I hate the smell and sight of white or chocolate milk. I too had to sit at the table until the milk was gone. I learned ( I thought ) to slowly pour it down the sink where mother would think I drank it but years later she told me she knew all along. Still to this day if someone put a gun to my head for me to drink it they would just have to shoot! YUCK!!!

Comment

I forgot that I am not a fan of pancakes or waffles with syrup either. Everytime we went out for breakfast (especially on vacation and travelling) the kids were forced to order pancakes or waffles cause they were so cheap. My mom always made mine and drowned them in syrup. My family loves them and I have to put jelly on them or eat with nothing on them in order to eat them. I have almost thrown up.

Another thing that makes me throw up if I smell it is MD 20/20 Orange Julius. I got really drunk off it and threw it up and now if I even smell it I will throw up. NASTY!!

Debbie
                          Never regret something because at one point it was exactly what you wanted!

Comment

i cant eat brussel sprouts,when i was a kid my dad said clean your plate or get a whoopin,i tried, threw up, then got a whoopin, lol, never make a kid eat anything they dont like.

Comment

Originally posted by cottun
                              Kool-aid! When I was pregnant with DD I was mixing some up and the smell of it made me so nauseous, and it still does! It never bothered me before I was pregnant with her, and thats been almost 30 years ago and remembering that smell has never gone away!
                              Kool-Aid has a smell? I've never thought about it but I guess it does!

Comment

Working...
                              X