Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know a good lawyer

In the Altoona PA area?

My Mom called me last night and told me a friend of my sisters was taken in by a con man. I'm telling you it sounds like one of those lifetime movies. 2 years ago her husband died at 45, he had a stroke. She has a daughter who was 16 then. They owned their house. Last year, my sister's friend started meeting guys she met online. Well, this one guy she met told her he loved her and convinced her to sell her house, and move to PA to live with him, and eventually get married. She actually gave up guardianship of her daughter to her mother in law, so she could be with this guy. So, she sold her house and moved to the Altoona area where this guy lived. My sister was getting upset because her friend would email her and tell her how her new boyfriend would read her emails or stay in the same roon with her while she was on the phone and listen to her conversations. She thought he was protecting her, and that he loved her and that is why he did that. After a while my sister stopped talking to her and emailing her because she was getting tired of her friend getting mad at her for saying *negative things* about her new boyfriend.

Well, a 2 am this morning, my bil gets a phone call from the friend. She came home from work and found a mattress and a table in their house. That is all. Her "boyfriend" took everything. We then found out that when she sold her home, she put all the money from the sale into a joint checking account with him. Then they bought a house, and he put it in his name only. She said she trusted him completely, and that is why she did it. So, I talked to my sister this morning, and she told me the rest. He convinced her that he was getting a great job in North Carolina, and they decided to buy a house there. They bought one, and again, put it in his name, but they put the utilities in her name. Thursday, they rented a uhaul, and were loading it up with their things to go to NC to settle in, and I guess sell their house in PA after they were settled. She went to work, and he text messeged her saying he was leaving for North Carolina now, and oh by the way, he caught up with his old girlfriend, and she was moving in with him instead, and that he mailed her a letter explaining everything. He took everthing. He took all the money out of their account, all of her credit cards, her furniture everything. The only thing he left in PA was his car, and that is in his name.

Now, she is so depressed, she has stopped taking her insulin, and her blood pressure meds, and she keeps saying things like she would be better off dead. My Mom offered to have her live with her untill she decides what she wants to do. But for now, she refuses to even think about that, because she thinks he might come back. She did eventually go to the police, and told them the whole story. They contacted the police in NC, and told her to cancel the utilities at the house there. Which she did, and she also canceled his cell phone. Then, my sister said their phone bills were like $1000 a month. (probably him calling this old gf)

Anyway, if you all could keep her in your prayers, and if anyone knows a good lawyer in the Altoona area, please let me know.

thanks
    www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Where is her daughter at now? I feel sorry for her she lost her father and then her mother signs her over to her mil? that is sad she had no choices in the situation as the mom did.

Sorry if it seems cold hearted but I believe what you give is what you get and the mom will have a hard time now and will have to be strong minded or else.... imho she has made her own bed.

Comment

Hi I am from the Altoona area. And I would suggest attorney Terry Tomasetti. We had some dealings with him and he is really good.

dragun/wendy

Comment

I agree wishingstar, about making her own bed. Her daughter is still living with the mil (her grandmother) The daughter is actually the one who requested to live with the grandmother because she was tired of her mom going out with strange men all the time. We feel bad for her daughter too. My sister even asked if the daughter could live with them for a while, but she said no.

Comment

Just wanted to add, is she still in Altoona? Can I do anything to help? Go check on her? Take her a hot meal? Anything? We also have a shelter in this area that is amazing. Does she need ?mental? help? Not that I think she is mental, but she maybe extremely depressed over this and feeling foolish.

dragun/wendy

Comment

Wendy, that is so sweet of you to offer your help!

I feel so badly for her and just the whole situation in general.... What an A$$ he was! I hope she can get some kind of help, be it legal, or emotional - or both...
            Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Thanks Wendy. She is actually in Grampian PA, so I think that is a little north of Altoona. Her best friend lives down the street from her, so she is keeping tabs on her. We don't even know her address since she has a PO Box, and can't even go to her. I was thinking about calling a local church to see if someone could go to see her, but I guess that can't happen.

Comment

I agree that he is a real a$$. But reading her story, it doesnt sound like fraud to me or that she was conned. It sounds like she made some very poor decisions on her own and was a willing participant in letting this man have access to whatever assets she had. I hope she can recoup at least SOMETHING from him. But if she was in agreement to letting the house be in his name only and letting him have access to her money via a joint checking account, I will be surprised if even a good lawyer could do anything for her. Please keep us updated!
                Last edited by cottun; 05-11-2008, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I agree, Cottun. He completely knew what he was doing, but unfortunately she let him do it, legally. Very sad situation.

Comment

I just talked to my sister, her friend told her she can stay with her and her husband for as long as she likes, but she said no. My sister also told me that the checking account was in his name only.......!!!! She is a hard one to figure out. I met her the same time my sister did, we worked down the beach in Wildwood NJ. I just never really became good friends with her like my sister did. On the upside, he gave her an engagement ring which I think she should pawn or sell, but her bff told my sister she refuses to take it off. I know this happened so suddenly for her but there are 2 ways to deal with this, either with kid gloves or tough love. I opt for tough love.

Comment

Working...
                    X