bad roomate situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad roomate situation

i need some advice. I am getting ready to move out of a house I have rented for a month. Upon giving my notice to the landlord I found out my roomate has not been paying her share for at least 4months. She owes $1,689! I was PO when I found out. We both signed a lease that said we would pay the total rent $1,300 for each month. I dont want to be held accountable for the money she hasnt paid and may skip out on. Any advice?

Sounds like she was there several months before you. You did sign separate leases, right? You certainly shouldn't be held accountable for what she did or didn't do before you even came along.. Maybe talk with the Landlord?
    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If you were responcible too, the landlord should have told you as soon as the first payment was late, not wait until you are moving out!
      www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

Did you mean that she was living there for 3 months before you moved in, or that you were renting on a monthly basis?
        Your landlord should have told you when you signed the lease that she was behind on payments and you should not be asked to pay for a time that you were not living there.
        If you get stuck with this by some weird chance, take her to small claims court and get the money back. I don't think any judge would see where you owe her part of it, unless there was some kind of fine print in the lease that said that you would be liable for any money owed at the time you moved out.
        Last edited by AllieK; 05-12-2008, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I have been living in the house for almost a year. In January, the 2 roomates i had decided to move. Both moved in with their boyfriends. I spent several months trying to find a person and my roomate now, was the only one who replied. I kinda got stuck with her. I reminded her each month about rent and she told me she paid it. My landlord only notified me once that we were $100 short. I didnt even find out about all the money that wasn't paid unitl 2 weeks ago. After I gave my 1 month notice! Now my landlord is saying that since we signed the same lease( even though she signed it later than me) that we are both responsible for the $. I move out tomorrow but Im still responsible for the house until the 31st.

Comment

If she doesn't pay up, I'd take her to small claims court.

Comment

You should seek some legal advice. We do not know the terms of the lease. It could be that you both are responsible, or that you aggreed in the paperwork to be responsible for her. We don't know what the aggrement says. If you go to college often colleges have free legal advice available.

Comment

My take on this.
                Were the last 2 roommates on the lease? Were they responsible for the rent too? Did they leave before their lease was up, expecting you to cover the costs? You may could take them to small claims court to get money back if they skipped out on their lease. If the lease was over, they left, and you decided to stay...then it became your responsibility.
                Once the other girl signed her name on the lease, she because responsible from that day forward....depending on how the lease was written and what you agreed to. I doubt you can leave and not pay the landlord for the entire amount, but you can take the girl to small claims court and get her share of it...depending on what you both signed.
                Get a copy of your lease and take it to a lawyer. Make sure that you know where the girl is going just in case you want to pursue a case agaisnt her. Don't take the landlords word for anything. He just may be trying to take the easy way out

Comment

Judge Judy. Make sure you have proof of what you paid each month, canceled checks, receipts from landlord. Good LUck

Comment

Mommyx2, I was going to say the same thing. Judge Judy has this crap all the time. If the rent wasn't paid they are responsible, unless seperate leases, which in this case I don't think it happened. Got to pay the rent then go to small claims & get her, please bring every peice of paperwork with you. Every check, utility bill etc... please hope you have it or get copies. Get this low life. That's the only way you can get her to pay her half.

Comment

And in the future if you have a roomie, have them pay you so you know the rent is paid. Make sure you have them sign a lease with you stating everything in plain english to avoid problems. I had a friend who couldn't evict her roomie even though she didn't pay her rent for months because nothing was on paper. The same friend had problems with several people who cheated her, she now lives alone.

Comment

Smother her with a pillow, easy solution!

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
                          Smother her with a pillow, easy solution!
                          Leave it to Muzette to solve the problem, LOL

Comment

Of course you could be sneaky and pooh on her bed right under her pillow. Lay the pillow so gently on top of it and wait for her to go to bed. I have a sick sense of satisfaction hehehe. Oh then you can somther her with that pillow HAHA.

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
                              Of course you could be sneaky and pooh on her bed right under her pillow. Lay the pillow so gently on top of it and wait for her to go to bed. I have a sick sense of satisfaction hehehe. Oh then you can somther her with that pillow HAHA.
                              OMG, your imagination is going wild girl. LMAO

Comment

Working...
                              X