Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone been to a Periodonist (gum Dr)???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone been to a Periodonist (gum Dr)???

I go every 6 months for the cleaning and did good except for one tooth, my dentist said bone loss and just go to Periodonist for a check. I think there may be some type of gum problem around that tooth. My gums are fine except around this one tooth. Of course I am scared out of my mind, let me know if you went & how it is? Maybe I am lucky it is only one tooth, all the rest of gums & teeth are fine.

I am on my way tomorrow. I have two back teeth that the bone loss is past the 6 that they measure. My dentist says it is due to my pockets being deeper than most and floss will only go to a 4. Most of my pockets are five and six. Which is probably why I have to have my teeth cleaned every three months for them to be okay! Evidently plaque gets down deeper and your floss is not getting it so it causes the bone to die. This is what he told me. Sadly gums do not always turn red or hurt with periodontal disease. Mine have never been red, bled, or even hurt. I just got my braces off less than a year ago and never knew that I had it. I have seen the gross pictures of it, but guess what it happens way before those pictures!

The bad news is that bone cannot grow back so they can either pull the tooth or build up fake bone. I am lucky in that the one that is the worst is a back tooth and I can just have it pulled which in my case is okay because my mouth is too small for all my teeth anyway!

My years of smoking really damaged my teeth. The dentist told me the one saving grace is that I truly have good strong teeth. I am hoping he is right!

Good luck. Let me know what you are going to decide to do
    Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

I hve been several times for deep cleaning, which didnt hurt except for $$$$.
      I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

I have a similar problem with the gum around my wisdom tooth. Deep pocket and bleeding. My dentist was all set to pull it - I was in the dental chair all psyched up for it to come out. He decided at the last minute not to pull it after reviewing my medications. I have been on Fosamax for 4 or 5 years and he said that if you've ever been on a drug for osteoporosis that one of the things that could happen is your jaw could start to disintegrate(if you have a tooth pulled). When I came home I looked at the information sheet you get from the pharmacy about side effects and so on, nothing is mentioned about the dangers of tooth extraction. So I "googled" it, and found out all kinds of side effects, and there are many, many warnings about tooth extractions. Seems like the drug stays in your system forever. So even if you stop taking it for a period of time, you shouldn't get teeth pulled.

Comment

Cindy please let me know how you did. I am so scared that this is going to be painful. Glad it is only one tooth. I think if my dentist can't help maybe this must be scarey. Do you get numb, gas or what??? I want to know all the details.

Comment

roset,I will definitely let you know what goes down. My appointment is at 2:00 and I am betting this is just going to be the consultation. I do know that my co-pay is going to be 85.00 and I may need more x-rays which will be $70.00 more that my insurance will not cover. Other than that I have no idea what might happen. I do know that I do not want to be put to sleep. They can deaden everything in my mouth and I will be okay, but no gas for me.
            Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X