Anybody ever visited Alaska???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever visited Alaska???

Our son, his wife, and Grandkids live near Anchorage, and just booked a trip in July. Anybody have an advice on things to do and see? They have lived there just since last September, and this is our first trip.

I've never been and have no advice for you at all. I just wanted to say I've always wanted to see Alaska and am green w/ envy!!
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I was in Alaska August 2004..We stayed at Hotel Captain Cook in Anchorage..walked around the city alot and shopped. Then we flew to Homer Spit and spent a few days there...we rented a car and just drove around..took a boat ride over to Seldovia... Oh we also flew in a small plane over the glaciers! Alaska is a beautiful state..lots more to see and do I'm sure! I would love to go back someday!

A day without laughter is a day wasted...Charlie Chaplin

Comment

No, But I've Always Wanted To Go, Do You Need A Nurse To Go Along With You? Just Let Me Know, And I'll Be There!!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by momto4 View Post
          I was in Alaska August 2004..We stayed at Hotel Captain Cook in Anchorage..walked around the city alot and shopped. Then we flew to Homer Spit and spent a few days there...we rented a car and just drove around..took a boat ride over to Seldovia... Oh we also flew in a small plane over the glaciers! Alaska is a beautiful state..lots more to see and do I'm sure! I would love to go back someday!
          Homer Spit... that's a good one. Babe had friends in Arkansas years ago who live in Toad Suck... always thought that was a cool town name too.
          "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

If I could afford my own private nurse, you'd be there, Nu. My son asked if I would be interested in taking a small plane ride...I nixed the idea. He said he didn't think he wanted to do that either, so we thought we might let daughter in law and DH do that. I dunno...maybe I could get up my nerve. Since they just went up last fall...there are a lot of things they haven't done yet either. I am really excited. We are going in July. I'll take all the tips I can get.

Comment

My dd's friend has loved there since 6th grade. My dd lived there for about a year. she loves Alaska in the summer months. I'll ask her what one should be sure and see there.

Comment

I went, 6 day cruise to 7 days around Alaska. I love snow, so I liked it. I did a little more touristy stuff and not as much meeting the real locals as I would have liked. I was on all kinds of transportation, van, train, plane, sled, you name it.

I would have liked to have just walked around some of the cities instead of constant tours. The best part was the cute waiters on the cruiseship.
                www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

I emailed my dd and she said she would send a list of interesting things to do when she gets home from work this evening.

Comment

Thanks Allie!

Comment

my sister went and said there's enough to do there for several trips !
                      I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

Lived There!

We didn't visit but I did live in Fairbanks for 5 years. Only bad part is that it was a long time ago................

I am ready to take DH up there to see the land on a cruise.

Enjoy it!! It is amazing and a real last frontier. Go see the glaciers, go visit some dog sled camps, go up to Fairbanks if you have time.

Comment

Alaska

Our DS and DIL were stationed at the Air Force Base outside of Anchorage for 7 years. We got to visit them three times. My advice is to just get in a car and drive to the various points to see the country. South of Anchorage is so different from the north to Fairbanks.

If you go most distances you would need to stay overnight as to far to drive back in one day. Driving south on the Kenai Pensiular is so beautiful The town of Soldotna is very interesting and the fresh halibut in Homer can't be beat. Seward is interesting as is Valdez. If your kids don't have a lot of free time you might consider you and your DH take the train to Fairbanks. I think you can get an overnight stop at Denali and take a bus ride to see Mt McKinley. You must make reservations in advance though.

You also have to plan on road delays as the summer is the only time they can make road repairs. You need to get yourself a MilePost magazine. Go on line to an Alaska tourist web site and order one. The magazine will give the sights to see on every road by the mile post. It is invaluable. You will have a wonderful time and a trip to remember.

Ann

Comment

All I can say is " I AM SOOOO JEALOUS!!!" If you find yourself with an empty suitcase, just let me know--I'd be happy to fold myself into it. Have a wonderful vacation!!
                            Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

My DD lives in Anchorage. There's plenty to see in Anchorage alone! We went on a lot of daytrips looking at the glaciers and saw plenty of bald eagles, and there are moose everywhere! Even roaming the residential neighborhoods! What I loved most about Alaska is that I'm a coffee-holic, and they are bigtime into their coffee up there - there is a drive-thru gourmet coffee shack on practically every corner, and the prices are very reasonable (much cheaper than Starbucks).

Comment

Working...
                              X