Salmon prices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon prices...

Yikes ! In today's ads, salmon steaks are going for $22.99 a pound ! It's not a typo, I called the grocery store and had to ask! That's as pricey as lobster..

The Fillets Here Are $4.99/lb. Why Would The Steaks Be So Much Pricier???

Comment

What type of salmon was it? For wild that may not be out of line. I know when I have gotten sockeye, I buy it when it was on sale for 12-15 a lb.

Comment

The filets are the same price. My guess it's CA prices.. Everything is high here, hence the gas at $4.01..

Comment

GAS PRICES NOT THAT FAR OFF HERE $3.69. BUT $23 A LB!

Comment

It says "Fresh Stikine River King Salmon Steaks", first of the season. Then the same wording for the fillets, same price.

Comment

I didn't buy it at Costco last Saturday because it had gone up to $6.97/lb. The last time I was there it was four dollars and something. Maybe that was a fantastic deal. Gas around Cincinnati is $3.95

Comment

I'll be checking out Costco for sure. I'd rather have Lobster than Salmon for that price.

Comment

Salmon is $ 4.00 something here also. But I am not sure what kind of salmon. $ 23.00 per pound, I don't think so . I could go out and have salmon in a restaurant for that price, and wouldn't have to cook.
                  Yesterday regular gasoline was $ 3.65, today I noticed it was $ 3.59 , the exact same station. Go figure...

Comment

Sabine, at least your gas prices are going down.. That's a good sign.

Comment

Atlantic salmon is generally cheap running under 5-6 dollars a pound. Wild Salmon is always more. Sockeye is about as expensive as I go. I know Coho costs a lot more than then Sockeye. I am happy Costco has both Atlantic and Sockeye salmon available, but they do vary in price by quite a bit.

Comment

I've been buying bagged Wild salmon frozen fillets at Walmart, and they're less than $4.00 per pound bag. I'm not surprised if Salmon is going up in price tho - even the price of canned tuna here has risen about 20 cents per can in the past 6 months for the cheapest brands!

Comment

The prices may be going up everywhere soon.

May 2, 2008
                          Salmon fishing was banned along the West Coast for the first time in 160 years Thursday, a decision that is expected to have a devastating economic impact on fishermen, dozens of businesses, tourism and boating.

Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez immediately declared a commercial fishery disaster, opening the door for Congress to appropriate money for anyone who will be economically harmed.

The closure of commercial and recreational fishing for chinook salmon in the ocean off California and most of Oregon was announced by the National Marine Fishery Service.

It followed the recommendation last month of the Pacific Fishery Management Council after the catastrophic disappearance of California's fabled fall run of the pink fish popularly known as king salmon.

It is the first total closure since commercial fishing started in the Bay Area in 1848.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency last month and sent a letter to President Bush asking for his help in obtaining federal disaster assistance. Schwarzenegger plans to appropriate about $5.3 million for coastal salmon and steelhead fishery restoration projects.

The disaster declaration allows state officials to work with Congress on obtaining appropriations for businesses and fishermen and women, some of whom will lose as much as 80 percent of their annual income.

Although salmon spawning has been in decline all up and down the coast, the biggest problem is in the Sacramento River and its tributaries. So few salmon returned last fall that the fishery council was required under its management plan to halt fishing throughout the salmon habitat, which is all along the California and Oregon coasts.

The commercial salmon season off California and Oregon typically runs from May 1 to Oct. 31. The recreational season was to have begun April 5.

Comment

Working...
                          X