This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When they come to your door...

In my area theres a high population of a certain religious sect that goes door-to-door passing out tracts and preaching to folks. What is the polite but firm way to tell them that youre not interested? Once this week they caught me out in my front yard when I went out to get the mail, and I told them "no thanks, I'm not interested". Yesterday a different set of people caught me with the front door open when I was calling the cat in. When I tried to tell them I wasnt interested, the guy opened up his Bible and started preaching to me before I could close the door. What an awkward position to be in - to literally have to close the door in the face of a person whos on your front porch reading the Bible to you! What would YOU do?

I Just Say "i'm Sorry I'm Not Interested" And Close The Door. I Don't Feel Guilty At All.

Now I Do Feel Guilty When I "lie" To The Kids Selling Things For School. I Tell Them I've Already Bought Something From A Family Member.

EDITED TO ADD: I ALWAYS BUY FROM FAMILY MEMBERS THOUGH WHEN ASKED.

Comment

What would I do ...the very same thing close the door in his face thats IF he didnt already leave after I ask him to get off my property! I have no respect for these people got a laugh last weekend hubby was in driveway had backed his classic 38 chevy car out when 2 came up and started talking well they obviously had no idea what they were in for he started telling them exactly what he thought of gas prices and then told them in detail every thing he has done to restore his car THEY WALKED AWAY thats a first! I LMAO!!!!

Comment

we live up the side of a mountain and we do not get many here.
        however, if they do come to the door i ask them in and interrupt their talk by telling them i am catholic and i have some holy water and i would like to give them a blessing with it. i also pick up my rosary and as i come toward them they run like i am the devil.

Comment

Same thing, tell them I am not interested and close the door. No guilt feelings here at all. I didn't invite them, they made a choice of going door to door, that's what they have to expect. It's been years since I had someone like that come to our door. Most of the time we don't even open the door if we don't know who it is.

Comment

I've only had them here twice. We're sorta off the beaten track. What bugs me, is both times it was a whole CARLOAD of people. Same here. I politely tell them I am not interested. And then say, ummmm you might want to be careful of our 'other' dog...
            Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Not interested and close the door in their face.

I detest when they send an 8 yr old child to the door who asks: " if you die tonight would you go to Heaven?" My answer is yes and close the door.

Comment

i usually tell them i am not interested. my great granda would have a flyer from her church ready to hand to them when they gave her one of theirs.
                SHEL

Comment

I am nice but firm and very quick with my response...."I am Catholic and very happy. Thank you."......And the door closes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No guilt and I am not lying!!! LOL!!!

Comment

I usually just say I'm not interested and close the door. I did that on my first date with my husband, he asked me if I always did that I said yes. That's when I found out his x was a member of that organization.

Comment

Joanne has a point - they often send their kids to the door first. It just seems wrong to slam the door on a child! Would you handle that differently?

Comment

I am not sure how I would handle that ? I have never had a child approach me, but it seems like they usually have a child with them. I think it is very wrong to use their children that way.

Comment

I pretend to talk in a different language. I just make up stuff as I go along. It is funny to see their reaction and hear some of the things they say as they walk away. I love doing it..

Comment

I'd WANT to ask the adults why I'd want to be part of a religion that has to beg for members door-to-door?? But ya don't wanna give them any fuel for their fire. I'd have no problem closing the door in their face. If it was a child, I might say before closing it, "You go tell the adults w/ you that I said shame on them for sending a child to the door."
                            "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Many years ago my mom actually invited them in, talked to them about Jesus for a half hour, then they left and she hasn't had anyone stop by since. She figures she's now on their 'do not stop THERE' list.

Comment

Working...
                              X