Annoyed. Need to vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoyed. Need to vent

Today while having lunch a young mother with two kids & their grandma sat at the next booth. The little girl, about 2 - 3 yrs, started to sing softly & grandma screeched at her to shut up. The boy, about 5 yrs, had his elbows on the table & grandma told him she would spank him if he put them up again. Grandma was a nasty one. She wasn't correcting them since they were not misbehaving but she kept up a tirade terrorizing the poor kids. The Mom never said a word in their behalf - she may have been terrified too. Just as we finished our meal, grandma says "they need to learn restaurant manners and I will make sure they learn to behave in public." I gave grandma one first-class glare as we walked past her -- her eyes popped out of her head when she saw my "look". Just needed to share this unpleasant scene in case any of us decides to admonish our grandbabies so severly.

I always thought the Grandparents were easy on the Grandbabies, guess not in this case. Guess she doesn't have much patience with kids. Let's hope they don't hang around Grandma too much. I know these kids really don't have the manners that we grew up with. I think by the time the reach adulthood they will have more manners.

Comment

What a shame. Kids will be kids. No wonder the mother was scared - probabl brings back some pretty rotten memories.

Comment

I'm all for discipline, but sounds like "grandma" has some issues. Poor kids. I would have given her a look, too.

Comment

Geez... they were 2-3 and 5! Sounds like Grandma isn't gonna have much fun w/ her grandkids cause they won't want to be AROUND her!!
          "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

That's not a grandma, that's a witch. Grandmas are sweet and see no wrong with their grandchildren (like me) lol..... I do believe in discipline, but there are better ways to teach children.

I hope they don't get to visit very often.
            DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

www.myspace.com/luvkidrock4ever

Comment

Mom Probably Didn't Say Anything, Because Grandma Probably Was The Same Way With Her. Your Suppose To Spoil Grandkids And Let Them Do Things You Never Let Your Own Kids Do!!!

Comment

I agree 100% with Nu and Luvkidrock - spoil'em rotten - my 2 yo Grandson can do no wrong - he is perfect!! LOL! I do discipline him but in a way that he doesn't even realize Grammie has scolded him.

Comment

I would probably shake grandmas hand. I dont care if the kid is 2 or not, I do not want to hear it sing, that is what their house is for. I probably would have jabbed the kid with the elbows on the table also, I go to dinner to enjoy myself not put up with someone elses snotty brats.....I think I feel a bit differently because I have so many kids and do not tolerate bad behavior in public at all.

Comment

As much as I dislike having loud, obnoxious children around me when I go out to eat I think I'd dislike even more a screaming grannie rather than the softly singing kid.

Comment

I think it's up to the mother to discipline her child, not the grouchy old granny. There are worse things kids do in restaurants than a little singing and elbows on the table. Sounds like Granny had her depends up in a wad. There are polite ways to remind children to take their elbows off the table. That poor family. I bet holidays aren't too pleasant if Granny is around.

Comment

Amen to that, janabanana. I felt the same way -- that's what got my back up. They were perfectly mannered children. In this case, it was grandma who needed to learn restaurant manners. She was far more annoying than the kids.

Comment

Sounds like someone needs to teach Granny her restaurant manners.

Huffle
                          God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

Working...
                          X