Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another choking hazard!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another choking hazard!!

    You probably never would've thought, but I had a 3 1/2 yr old choke on a mozzarella cheese stick yesterday! My DD and I took the little boy that I have during the day out to lunch and he got a plate of chicken strips, fries and mozzarella cheese sticks. The cheese sticks were fine until they cooled off, then they were like rubber! He started choking and couldn't get it up so I reached across the table, opened his mouth, saw a piece of it still inside his mouth and proceeded to pull out a long strip of rubbery cheese from his throat!
    Next time you serve cheese sticks to a child, please think again!

  • #2
    That's scary! Glad you were able to get it out. I can see how that might happen, they do get rubbery. All the dgd's love cheese, I'll remember this. TY!

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow, that is scary. I will remember this. Both my kids love cheese. Glad the little boy is ok.

      Comment


      • #4
        They're a lot like hotdogs... a bite is the perfect size/shape to choke small kids! I used to work at a grill counter and I always asked moms if I could cut kid's hotdogs in 1/2 LENGTHWISE. If they said no, I told the kids to take small bites and chew 'em up good.

        Good to know about cheese sticks!!
        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

        Comment


        • #5
          another hazard for toddlers is pinto beans. My friend had a child choke, and die at her house one time. The child inhaled the bean and they couldn't get it out.

          tastebud, I hope you pointed it out to the manager.

          Comment


          • #6
            That doesn't surprise me at all. It is very scary. The last time I ate one, I thought I was going to choke to death. I had to do the same thing. I had to pull it out. A child choking is one of my big fears. Glad everything is ok.
            DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

            www.myspace.com/luvkidrock4ever

            Comment


            • #7
              My husband choked on a mozzarella stick at a restaurant once. He was ok but it scared the (bleep) out of me!

              Comment


              • #8
                choking prevention..???

                One method to prevent choking, which has helped out on numerous occasions, when raising my kids, is to take one or both of their arms and lift it straight up. This helps move a muscle, somehow. With my experience, it has stopped them from choking..In time, young kids can learn to do this themselves, to help prevent choking. And, it came in handy on a few occasions, when I had stepped a few feet away from them while they were eating. When I heard starting signs of maybe some serious choking, and, ran to them to aid in dislodge of the food, they had already known how to lift their arm, and, thankfully, with much relief, the choking had stopped...Now my daughter has young ones, and, one of my recent visits, was relieved that she was in the process of teaching the toddler, the oldest one, to lift her arms. Fortunately, my grandaughter raises both of her arms. Am proud of this safety skill being taught to another generation in the family.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm going to have to bring this up with the people who run my food program. Maybe they can alert others. In my 13 yrs of doing daycare I have had 2 children choke on items that really seem innocent... #1 was a bagel and #2 was the mozzarella sticks!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My DS, who is 8, choked on cheese sticks. I had bought some from Sonics came home and he started eating them. I had to pull it out of his mouth. I hold my breath every time he takes a bite now!!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X