No announcement yet.

e passes bill to sue OPEC over oil prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My niece from Germany has been living with us this past school year. She says gas is roughly $9 per gallon and it's been that way for years. When we went to Germany a few years back it was $3 Euros per liter or so.

On the topic of drilling for oil.....

The environmental nuts in the US are the primary reason we are in the oil mess we are in. I read somewhere that oil/gas production in our country has been cut almost in half since the 1980's. No new refineries have been built, no new drilling. Every other country that has the ability to drill for oil is doing so. Except for the US. Why should we tell OPEC to give us more oil? If 'the environment' is such a concern, why aren't we concerned for other countries' environments?

Comment

The only difference is that in Germany and other european countries there is an execellent public transportation system in place, either bus or light rail or trains. 24 /7
      many people in Europe don't even own cars. some like my brother only use their cars when they go on vacation or do major shopping trip. The rest of the time they use public transportation. Unfortunately , that is not the case here in south texas where I live. I don't have a choice, short of staying home, and I am not staying home.

Comment

There's lots of new drilling going on where I live. My dh worked in the oilfield for years and there is something that not many people know. When the oil prices drop below a certain price, oil companies shut the wells down. They are not going to pump it out of the ground at a loss or at less than they think it should be.

Comment

check this site on ANWR, and then tell me why we cant use a some acres to drill on.
          http://www.anwr.org/

Comment

Reading all that, I see no reason why we can't or shouldn't , like asap! Silly me, I forgot about doing all the political correct things, i.e. enviromentalist stuff, Yes, I know I most likely spelled that wrong.

Comment

What a great site. Very informative. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Good luck to congress.

Comment

all we need to do is drill on a very small part, the carribou? dont seem to mind, but the dems and tree huggers (there arent many trees) stop us every time.

Comment

Originally posted by alidoremi View Post
                    My niece from Germany has been living with us this past school year. She says gas is roughly $9 per gallon and it's been that way for years. When we went to Germany a few years back it was $3 Euros per liter or so.

On the topic of drilling for oil.....

The environmental nuts in the US are the primary reason we are in the oil mess we are in. I read somewhere that oil/gas production in our country has been cut almost in half since the 1980's. No new refineries have been built, no new drilling. Every other country that has the ability to drill for oil is doing so. Except for the US. Why should we tell OPEC to give us more oil? If 'the environment' is such a concern, why aren't we concerned for other countries' environments?

In other country's they don't use as much as we do, so the cost would have to be more, plus Im sure they drive less miles, more people in a car and more motorcycle's. what happened to the more you use the cheaper it is?
                    "Copykat Chat Forums" on Facebook, look it up!

E-Foo

Comment

Supply & Demand my Friend....Corporate Greed at it's best..(or worst!)
                      Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This is interesting

Here're the savings from Arctic drilling 75 cents a barrel
                        By Erika Bolstad | McClatchy Newspapers
                        http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/38223.html

WASHINGTON If Congress were to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling, crude oil prices would probably drop by an average of only 75 cents a barrel, according to Department of Energy projections issued Thursday.

The report, which was requested in December by Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, found that oil production in the refuge "is not projected to have a large impact on world oil prices."

But the report also finds that opening ANWR could have other benefits, particularly in Alaska, where tapping the resources in the Arctic refuge could extend the lifespan of the trans-Alaska pipeline. It estimates that if Congress agreed to open ANWR this year, Alaskan oil could hit the market in about 10 years.

Comment

If we started drilling and building refineries, it would give the world market and OPEC a message, message being that we are going to become less depend on foreign oil and will take care of ourselves.

Comment

We don't have enough oil to make ouselves self-sufficient. The only way we are going to not be dependent on oil is to go to other energy sources. There is no "we" in building refineries. Foreign countries (members of OPEC) own some of our refineries and they will not do anything to help us make the prices cheaper.
                            We really cannot send much of a message when we have sold our Country to the highest bidder. OPEC countries are building refineries so they can export refined fuels to other countries.
                            Our Oil companies will not spend that much money to build new refineries on a "maybe". Do you think they want the price of gas to go down? Do you think they do not have their hands on the patents to many of the other energy sources? They are going to push us to the brink, get what they can now, and when the oil comsumption goes way down out of necessity, they will just build for the future (it won't be tied to oil). They know what the future holds because they are holding all the cards. Fossil fuels are not the future.

Something else to read....
                            Gerald Kepes, head of the upstream oil and gas practice at the PFC Energy consulting group, said if the Interior Department had begun leasing tracts in ANWR in 2003 the first oil would had probably been flowing in 2012.

"This all assumes that there would be no environmental challenges," said Kepes, as lawsuits to block drilling could take years to resolve. "Really, 2015 is more then likely."

Opening ANWR could have made current prices worse because Saudi Arabia may have delayed increasing its oil production capacity, making world supplies tighter and prices higher.

"Since there is a worldwide market for oil, increases in production in one place (like ANWR) could be offset by decreases in production someplace else to keep the prices high," CAP's Weiss said. (Reporting by Tom Doggett; Editing by Marguerita Choy)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idUKN2934033020080429?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

You see Sabine, we don't have any control of world oil prices, nor do we have enough oil here in America to make ourselves self-sufficient. We will always depend on other Countries for our oil...unless we find another way to produce energy. Don't let politicians fool you into thinking that the answer is as easy as allowing drilling in a tiny, little part of America.

Comment

I think the best thing we can do is agree to disagree and let it go with that. I happen to believe that we have tons of oil that hasn't been drilled or even explored yet. And what does it matter if foreign countries own refineries, if we build more and own them. But I think this is way to complex to "talk" about on this board.

Comment

Here is some food for thought too. Gas is a commodity. Someone or some group is purchasing oil almost every day raising the price of the oil. Last year, when oil was $99 a barrel, someone bought it at $100 so they could say they were the ones who bought oil at $100 a barrel. So, who is it that is doing the buying? Also, here is an excerpt from this mornings editorial in my local paper

"Before laying blame, do the petroleum math"
                                So many people are blaming President Bush, Vice President Cheney, and the oil companies for the high price of gas, while believing the oil companies are making a gross amount of profit. I say, ''Do the math!'' If a barrel of oil is bought for $125 and there are 55 gallons in a barrel, that means a gallon of oil costs $2.27. Add 43 cents Pennsylvania tax and 18 cents federal tax, plus 3 cents profit for the station owners. That equals $2.91.

That does not include refining or transportation costs and waste. Add 50 cents for those things and the cost to the oil companies is about $3.41 per gallon. Where are all the big profits?

One of the woman I work with suggested that no one drives for one day. Well, I figure if we do this on holiday weekends, this will maybe lower it some how. Think about it, if no one buys gas on the holiday weekends, or goes anywhere, it will be noticable. I am not going anywhere this weekend. DH has to work all weekend, and I am just going to church tommorrow and the store and then home. We also got a charcoal grill today and are selling our gas grill. The next holiday weekend coming up is the 4th of July weekend. Which will probably be started on the 3rd. Maybe if we all made an effort to just do things in our own backyard for once instead of going somewhere causing traffic jams to begin with, maybe that will make a difference too.
                                www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

Working...
                                X