Acrylic nails without the nails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic nails without the nails

I am most comfortable in short nails that I do myself, but even with gloves on in the kitchen and laundry room, the polish doesn't last long.

I was thinking to get one of the kits - or just the supplies - to put the stuff on my own nails that the nail salons use for the "fill" - if it stays on natural nails as the acrylic tips grow out, why can't i use it on my own nails, making them stronger and giving a better seat for nail polsih?

Anyone ?
    I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

I Did My Own For Awhile. Didn't Look As Good As The Professionals But Passed Inspection, Didn't Stay On As Well Either. I Don't Wear Color, I Just Have Them Buff It And I Don't Have To Worry About The Color Coming Off.

Comment

So, in other words, it's doable. Where and what supplies did you get ?

Comment

Wal-mart Has Them, Or Some Of The Beauty Supply Places Sell To The Public, The Beauty Supply Places Have Betty Quality Stuff.

EDITED TO ADD:
        GOT THE ACRYLIC POWDER AND THE LIQUID YOU USE TO PUT THE BRUSH IN BEFORE DIPPING IT INTO THE POWDER, NAIL FILE, THE SMOOTH FILE THAT'S ON THE 1" SQUARE FOAMY THING (I DON'T KNOW THE NAMES! LOL ) A GOOD BRUSH, YOU MAY HAVE TO BUY A COUPLE DIFFERENT ONES UNTIL YOU GET THE ONE YOU'LL BE MOST COMFORTABLE WITH.
        GOOD LUCK!!
        Last edited by nuisance; 05-21-2008, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Have you tried buying a professional quality polish and adding several topcoats of a sealing or finishing polish?

Comment

Jack, I've tried many kinds of polishes over the year. I think my nails are just sort of weak. As I said I don't mind keeping them short, I just wish the polish would last longer.

I didn't see any brushes sold near the nail stuff, I guess I should look around for a brush elsewhere.

Comment

I have mine done by a nail tech. But I would go to a good beauty supply store and get what you need. They may be also giving you some hints on what to do and what not to do.

Comment

A professional nail tech can put acrylic on your own nails without adding tips. I have silk and glue put on my own nails without having tips added. I can't use acrylic because I'm very allergic to it. Having the silk wraps put on my own nail just makes my nails look better and it does make enamel stay on better, too.
                Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

What is that kind of manicure called ?

Comment

I tried this at home once, there should be a warning... it looked like I had fred flintstone nails they were so thick. I was told one problem was ambient temperature. It must be applied in a warm environment.
                    I must say, that all acrylic lifts. Bacteria get between the nail and the acrylic. It is because of this, that we now forbid this by health care workers in our hospital.

Comment

I would go to a nail shop and let them know what you want. If you can stay away from the Arcylic, then do it. It will weaken your own natural nails. Talk to them about the silk wraps and things along those lines. Maybe even go to a "fancy" nail place, get a little consultation to find out what you need to ask for, (figure they will be more likely to speak English at a more "upscale" place) then, go to one of the less expensive places and tell them what you want...(Read - Asian) Hee hee...
                      Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I bought some liquid wrap by Nutra Nail at Walmart. You just put it on like polish and it hardens. It's good to put on nails so they won't break or if you have to mend a split nail.

Comment

Right, I wasn't seriousl thinking about acrylic nails, I was just interested in something to boost my own nail strength.

Comment

Here is the secret to keeping the polish on natural nails. Use a good undercoat then your polish then a top coat. Every day just add a quick layer of top coat. Mine lasts up to two weeks on my natural nails.
                            Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have to agree with Cindy - the secret is a good base coat and a good top coat - Sally Hanson makes one called "No Chip" and it really is no chip. I wear my natural nails 3/4" to 1" past the tip of my finger and I type all day. When I do go to a salon, it's a treat but the polish doesn't last any longer than when I do them myself.
                              Believe in your abilities - amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Working...
                              X