Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you go to the Dr. when you were a kid??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you go to the Dr. when you were a kid??

OK, I am 50ish??? we didn't have co pay health ins or any of that. My Mom was a drug store Dr. If we got a cold, sore throat, sty (in the eye) she tried everything so we didn't go to the Dr. Oh she vicks us up,vaporizer, diarreara , said it is the body getting rid of bad germs. Only when things got worse is when we went to Dr. Believe me, she really tried to cure it and sometimes it did work. Now, I see everyone goes to the Dr. I understand you do need to go but I think back on all the crap my Mom did probably to save money so we would not have to go. She had a cure for all, well, I am in the 50's and so far so good. I really didn't go that much to the Dr. when I was a kid. Oh and even sick she said go to school you will feel better, I didn't feel better at school. HA HA HA Going to the
    Dr. was a big thing for us.

People go to the doctor too much these days. They don't give their bodies' immune system time to solve the problem.
    When my kids were young, they never went to the doctor unless I thought it was absolutely necessary. I bet I can count on 2 hands the times both of my kids actually went to the doctor. I guess I was lucky to have healthy kids.

Comment

Allie, I know, we got the co pay thing too but I did the same thing with DD you got the runs, it's nature taking care of the germs it will be done soon, I did go for all the shots. I am so like my Mom unless it does get out of control. You better be damn sick to go to the Dr. I am always doing the quick fix with my DD she is 19yrs now but I did the same thing, you will be fine in a few days, just get your butt to school. Think my Mom thought going to school would be a cure all for everything, after in school I did feel better.

Comment

I went to the dr a lot when I was a kid, probably almost monthly. I had horrible ear infections and was constantly plagued with strep throat. They finally took my tonsils out when I was 18. Haven't been sick since! My mom pleaded with the pediatricians to take them out from the time I was 4. Nobody would do it.

2 of my 3 are sick a lot. Same type of ear/throat/asthma/ problems as me. They don't go to the dr alot, but when they are sick I take them. More in the winter months than the warmer months. My baby never gets sick. I don't think he's been to the dr since his kindergarten check up and he's now in 4th grade. He'll go this summer for a football physical.

Comment

My parents were both work-a-holics. I remember when I was a kid, my mom used to tell me "you'd better zip that coat, get those shoes on, (etc.) because if you get sick, I CANNOT take time off work to take you to a doctor! I only remember going to the doctor about 3 times the entire time I was growing up! (Just realized it, but this is probably why I became a work-a-holic too!)

Comment

dr

I only take my kids when all else fails. Most of the time things just need to run there course. The bad part is that everyplace, school, woork, want a Dr.'s excuse if you're out. If my kid has a bad cough and they're stuffy, sore throat, all the good crud, I am not sending them to school. Then the school wants a note. Get over it!

Comment

I agree with you Shumway. I also saw the doctor quite often as a small child. Ear infections etc. I remember having german measles, mumps and chicken pox all during my second grade. Never went to the doc. But almost had to repeat the grade because I missed so much school. Had my tonsils out that summer and didn't even get a cold for the next 10 years.

My kids went if they had pink eye or ear infections. Otherwise, I swore by (still do) Vicks, hot honey and lemon, and worst case--mustard plasters.

But I did make sure that they always had all their shots.
              Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Growing up way in the backwoods of Wisconsin, we rarely went to the doctor. The first time I remember going was to get the polio shots. We got our innoculations at the local high school when the health department came for the annual shots. Only took my kids to the doctor as a last resort, and always found it was a good reason for the visit (ear infection, bronchitis, etc). Don't remember ever going or taking a child to the doctor for the runs. Had a pediatrician for the kids (woman, of course), that felt Honey and a bit of whiskey was a far better cough syrup that anything she could prescribe for the kids. She was a mother first and a doctor by education. Can't speak highly enough of her for her good common sense when it came to doctoring kids and not overmedicating. Love that woman today.

Comment

My mom was an emergency room nurse thru my childhood, so the ER docs became my "family docs" no matter how minor or major I saw the ER doc, for free.

Comment

we went if we were really sick and moms treatments didnt work. she did the usual things.......bacon fat for infections.........this black salve.........etc. buuuut......when i started breaking things and tearing things.....and spraining things........we went more often lol. from the time i was seven, my reg doc was a orthopedic surgeon.
                    http://weatherpixie.com/index.php?&h...=AZ&place=KFFZ

i didnt loose it! ...........i sold it on ebay!

Comment

I had ear infections and strep throat quite a bit growing up and went to the Dr. each time. Those won't go away with home treatments. Finally had my tonsils out 12 years ago.
                      My parents didn't send me to school when I was sick, they didn't want to make everyone else sick.

Comment

Actually the doctor came to our house if you can believe that one! My sister and I (or whichever one of us was really sick) would head for under a bed if we heard the sound of glass against enamel - that meant my mother was going to sterilize the doctor's syringe and that someone was getting a shot in the butt. LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X