HELP! Need Ear Ache help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Need Ear Ache help!

My son has developed an ear ache over the last hour. Of course, it is Sunday, and I can't just run him to the Dr. I gave him two Advil, and he is laying on a heat pad. Does anyone know anything I can do for the ear pain? We don't have any type of ear drops here....Is there anything at the Drug Store that might help?
    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

This will sound a little crazy but per the suggestion of my doctor, it worked with my kids. (He is an old time doc who tries to use natural remedies before prescribing something).

Warmed olive oil dropped in the ear always seemed to ease the pain. Be sure you test it and use an eye dropper type of dispenser if possible. Otherwise drop it in with a spoon.

Put a cotton ball in and have your child lie down on the "good ear" so that the olive oil will drip into the infected ear.

Wish you well, I had numerous ear infections with my oldest.

Comment

Thanks. I did do the olive oil thing, and he says it did not help... He is literally laying on the couch with a heating pad and crying from the pain.. He is 17 years old! I gave him 2 advil, the olive oil, and then since we don't have anything stronger for pain, I gave him a dose of my Cough Syrup with Codeine......I feel terrible that I can't make the pain stop!! I hate to see him cry!!
      Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I think if the pain is that bad, it may be time to go to the ER. He may have ruptured his eardrum. Do not put anything else in his ear until it gets checked out.

Comment

I always used heated sweet oil then a cotton ball in the ear.(put bottle in a cup of warm water) It's sold at any drug store or Wal-mart. Our Dr. told us about this when I had so many ear aches as a child and it generally works unless it's a real nasty infection.

Comment

Did he go swimming? Sometimes they get swimmers earache. See what happens later & if he still has problems go to ER or those clinics that are open 7 days a week.

Comment

I had swimmers ear one time and let me tell you, that was the worst pain that I ever had. My ear canal swole completely shut and the doctor couldn't even see the ear drum. I had to take pain pills and antibiotics for a week, then go back so he could look in my ear.
              From that day forward, I never let any water get into my ear and if it happened accidently, I put a few drops of equal parts of vinegar and alcohol in my ear. The vinegar to kill bacteria and alcohol to dry up the water.

Comment

Hi Lauren - I hope your son's earache is better or gone today. Maybe consider a walk-in clinic. They are usually open on Sundays and Holidays.
                "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

I found that this works. A cotton ball with peroxide, and lie on the good ear, and keep the cotton ball with the peroxide in the sore ear. I did have swimmers ear once in HS, and boy did that hurt.
                  www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

I have seen ear-ache drops in the drugstore. Cant remember the name of them and I've never had to buy them. I figured they were probably sweet-oil based.

Comment

Well, it took about a half hour after I gave him the Advil, Codeine and Olive Oil, but he did get some relief. He fell asleep on his heating pad. I checked on him twice last night and he said it felt better. He is still asleep this morning, which I take as a good sign... If we can get through today, I will schedule a Dr. appt. in the morning. THanks for all the suggestions!

I will have to look for this sweet oil to keep in the house...

I guess it doesn't matter how old they get, you still hurt right along with them...
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

There are a number of things that can cause an ear ache in a child. Try WedMD.com to get the list. Over the counter products rarely work if it is an infection of the ear, or eustasian tube (which closes in most very young children) Swimmers ear solutions work 50/50 if the child has recently gotten water lodged. If it is a wax build up, the hurt that bad, the wax would be on the drum pushing on the nerves. gentle flushing with an over the counter product may help, the warm olive oil may soften it, but avoid any extreme temperatures as this can be dangerous.
                        If you go to an ER, after looking for infection they will flush the ear with a sryinge of warm solution. Doesn't hurt. Then a perscription to follow. Pretty easy but will cost an ER visit (which runs about $75-$100)

Comment

I hope he feels better today. Those ear aches can be so painful.

Comment

I'm a nurse & when my kids were little, an elderly doctor told me to use nasal spray for ear aches. Use a plain saline type of spray and spray it in their nose (not in their ears). This opens up the eustachian tube and relieves the pressure of the ear ache. It worked every time for my kids.
                            I hope your son's ear ache is gone by the time you read this. But if it happens again, the nasal spray is worth a try & beats going to the med center.

Comment

Hmmm.. Saline Nasal Spray..Hadn't even occurred to me. Well, he is out with his buddies, and when I talked to him, he said it "barely hurts at all".... I hope that it doesn't flare up again tonight... If so, we will be "oiling and squirting" until we can get to the Doctor in the morning!

Thanks so much for all your concerns and suggestions! Sure is nice to have some help when you need it...
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X