Any suggestions/tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions/tips

We just got a new charcoal grill the other day. DH refused to let me use the gas grill we got 3 years ago, so, there it sits in the backyard under the grill cover. I have decided to let my sister and her family have it, and if they want to give me anything for it, that is fine. Anyway, DH informed me the reason he didn't want to grill was he does not like to cook. I told him I will do the cooking on it, I mean I have done it before, but does anyone have any tips on making really great food? I was thinking about getting some nice steaks today just to show him how great it can be.
    www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Instead of using the regular charcoal briquets try using the hardwood charcoal. Can you get a marinade called "Dale's steak seasoning" its really great!

Comment

DH usually does the cooking on our grills (charcoal & gas), but I've picked up a few things. If you are using charcoal be sure to let the coals burn long enough to burn off the lighter fluid or your food will taste like lighter fluid - I would say a minimum of 30 minutes. Remember that different types of food require different grilling methods. A good quality steak should be cooked over direct heat (meaning directly over the fire) as opposed to chicken which should be cooked over indirect heat (your fire on one side the chicken on the opposite side). If you like BBQ sauce you usually can't put your sauce until the last 15-20 minutes of cooking because most BBQ sauces have a lot of sugar and the sugar will burn very quickly. However, I like my BBQ'd chicken with a few blackened spots on it. I do like the flavor of charcoal, however, I wouldn't give up my gas grill for anything - it's so easy just to walk outside, turn the propane bottle on and push the button. If you're going to be doing the cooking keep your gas grill - it's a lifesaver during the summer when you don't have to heat your kitchen.

Learning to cook on the grill is trial and error-you will quickly learn how to cook various foods. I suggest you buy one of Weber's grilling books - they have awesome recipes and step by step instructions. I would get the "Weber's Big Book Of Grilling" first and then when you become proficient you can branch out to the others.

As the previous poster recommended look for either "Dale's" or "Moore's" liquid marinade. It's tastes the same and I love it for steaks.

Good luck!

Edited to add: A good quality charcoal is a must - we buy Kingsford's. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to save money by buying store brand charcoal and your fire burns out halfway through your cooking. Spend a little more and buy good charcoal-you won't regret it. Also, we love to use hickory on a lot of things. You can buy hickory chunks (in the charcoal section of the store) and throw those on your fire and it adds a wonderful flavor. Be sure to soak your hickory in water for at least 30 minutes (preferably an hour) so you get a good "smoke" going and you don't just burn up the hickory.
      Last edited by Puppy Breath; 05-26-2008, 09:45 AM. Reason: To add more info!
      My mother's menu consisted of two choices - take it or leave it!

Comment

Last summer we stumbled upon two really great cookbooks that I bought online through this website: http://www.cheapestbookprice.com

These cookbooks have great recipes and all sorts of tips and hints in them. They are: "Weber's Real Grilling" by Jamie Purviance, ISBN #: 0-376-02046-6 and "How to Grill - The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques" by Steven Raichlen, ISBN#: 0-7611-2482-9.

Hope these help, good luck and Bon a petite!!!!

~Kathy~
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

We have 2 grills a gas Weber and a Weber Kettle grill with a propane starter. The propane starter starts the charcoal than you turn it off and use it just like a charcoal grill. We like our Williams-Sonoma Grilling and Outdoor cooking cookbooks.

Comment

grilling is easy, try not to overcook though,coals should be gray when ready,soak some mesquite or other wood in water for half an hour or so and add to coals when ready.i keep a spray bottle with water in it for flareups if needed.also brushing the grill with some cooking oil will help with sticking.charcoal grills give meat a much better flavor than gas grills.also, some meats you wont want to cook over direct heat,like fish,put the charcoal on one side and cook over the other side.

Comment

oh, i love this marinade, all flavors are good, but the cajun will really heat it up,so start with the regular, lol.
              http://www.allegromarinade.com/original.html

Comment

Oh I grill two or three times a week during the summer and nice weather. I got a gas grill cause charcoal was getting to expensive. It's trail and error, we still don't talk about the first time I (tried to) cook ribs, lol

Comment

I don't do a lot of grilling, I like to smoke my meats more than grill but the best advice I ever recieved was to keep a journal of what I do each time that way I'll know what caused success or failure.

Also after trial and error I found I don't like charcoal to me it leaves an after taste to the meat. I prefer to use lump(tastebud called it hardwood charcoal). It burns hotter and not as long as traditional charcoal but lasts more than long enough to do any grilling I've done.

As for rubs or marinades I've found that that is just a person taste. I say read the ingredients to see if it has what you like in it. I have went through about 15 different brands before I finally found one I liked.
                  ""Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric.""

Comment

Working...
                  X