whats your secret w/fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats your secret w/fish?

I dont eat it...so DH wants to start making it for himself. I dont even know what to tell him to start with.
    He likes salmon and MahiMahi mostly, some flounder. What do you do wto them? do you have a rub recipe? Do you have a marinade recipe? or just s&p lemon juice and butter?

Lately I've been using my George Foreman grill for filleted fish. I mix melted butter with lemon or lime juice, add a little Old Bay seasoning, brush it on, and grill it. It's so tasty!

Comment

I made this for Christmas for my non meat eaters to rave reviews...

Planked Salmon with Honey-Balsamic Glaze Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

1 whole side of salmon, or 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
      1 tablespoon fine sea salt, preferably gray salt
      1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
      1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
      1/2 cup honey
      1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
      Melted butter, for brushing salmon
      2 untreated cedar planks, each about 5 by 12-inches, soaked in water to cover for at least 12 hours (available at hardware stores or kitchen stores)
      Extra-virgin olive oil, for oiling the planks

Preheat the broiler. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
      If using a side of salmon, cut about halfway through the flesh about every 5 to 6-inches so there are some spaces for the glazes to sink in. If using salmon fillets, slice about 8 to 10 sliced angles into flesh, to help flesh more completely soak in the glaze.

In a small bowl or cup, mix the salt, pepper, and dry mustard.

In a medium glass bowl, heat the honey in the microwave for 30 seconds to liquefy further. Remove from the microwave and mix in balsamic vinegar.

Brush the top of the salmon fillets (not the skin side) with the melted butter. Season the flesh side with the spice mixture. Brush with the honey-balsamic mixture, reserving some for later.

Put the soaked planks under the hot broiler, about 5 inches from the heat source, until the wood is browned on top, about 3 minutes. With tongs, carefully remove the planks from the oven.

Immediately brush the browned surface with olive oil, then lay the salmon fillets on the oiled surface, skin side down.

Put 2 cookie sheets in the oven below where the planks will go to catch any glazes or juices that run off. Return the planks to the broiler and cook the fish for 10 minutes. Baste with honey-balsamic and place in oven. Cook until it is done to your taste, about 10 to 15 more minutes, or 20 minutes total for medium.

Remove the fillets to a platter, or immediately serve directly from the planks.

Comment

I make a lot of salmon. I bake it in the oven, and brush on some honey mustard for the last few minutes, besided salt and pepper. You could also put it under the broiler. But watch carefully, it burns easy. When I fry filets, I put them in egg , then breadcrumbs and just fry, serve with lemon , tartar sauce. Fresh tuna I just put salt & pepper on it and sear on pan. I like tuna almost raw, but you certainly can cook to well done stage.
        I have never made Mahi Mahi, but I would fix it the same way I fix tuna. Scallops are also so easy to fix. There are tons of recipe on the food network website.

Comment

For Salmon, I just squeeze lemon on it, sprinkle liberally with Dill, put a lemon slice on top, and bake in a dish sprayed with Pam. EASY, and GOOD!!!

For Mahi, I sprinkle lemon pepper on it and either bake or grill. Chef Paul's Poultry Magic is also great for Blackening it. Just read the instructions on the bottle. EASY!

I am thinking since you don't eat fish, you probably don't want to spend a whole lot of time preparing it, so the above "recipes" are pretty easy and quick.
          Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Haddock, bake in oven with just a little paprika and a little lemon juice. More is not better.
            www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

After seeing the "Dirty Jobs" episode with the waste treatment plant..... STAY AWAY FROM TILAPIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Comment

I know, I didn't see that show, but I heard about it. So no more tilapia for us. I used to fix tilapia a lot.

Comment

I mix some mayo with lemon juice and plaster that on the fish then bake.

Comment

Sometimes I like a change of pace. I love tempura fish (made with light rice flour batter) -- I don't have it often because of fat. When I heat oil for tempura fish, I also use same batter for onion rings.

Another change of pace for firm, mild flavored fish, I like an Asian fish soup.

Quick & Healthy
                    ASIAN FISH SOUP

1 pound mild firm fish
                    2 tablespoons lime juice
                    ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
                    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
                    ½ cup diced onion
                    ½ cup thinly sliced celery*
                    ½ cup shredded bok choy cabbage**
                    1 ½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
                    2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
                    2 teaspoons vegetable oil
                    1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
                    1 teaspoon seasoned (or table) salt
                    4 cups chicken stock or broth
                    1 to 4 teaspoons soy sauce***
                    1 cup instant brown rice
                    4 ounces baby spinach leaves****
                    1 ½ teaspoons dark sesame oil

Notes:
                    *If using outer stalks of celery, finely dice them
                    **Other cabbage may be used if bok choy isn’t available
                    ***Amount of soy sauce used will depend upon saltiness of the broth or stock
                    ****If full-sized spinach leaves are used, remove stems, roll leaves and cut into ¼-inch strips.

Cut fish into ¼ to ½-inch cubes. In a non-reactive bowl, mix chicken, lime juice and ground peppers; put into refrigerator while preparing other ingredients. Dice onion, slice celery, shred cabbage, grate ginger and crush garlic.
                    Heat vegetable oil in large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic. Stir-fry 10 seconds; add onion, celery and cabbage. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Sprinkle curry powder and seasoned salt over vegetables. Reduce heat to medium and sauté for 5 minutes.
                    Add stock or broth to pot. Stir in soy sauce to taste. Stir in fish mixture. Bring to a boil. Add instant brown rice; bring back to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Adjust soy sauce, if needed. Stir in spinach. Add dark sesame oil and serve.

Comment

Nu...you seen that episode too? Never again will I eat tilapia!

Comment

Oh no! Tilapia is my favorite fish! I missed the show! What's wrong with it? Or do I want to know?

Comment

We love tilapia and mahi mahi. I buy them frozen at Trader Joes. I just thaw them, usually in a bowl of cold water for 20-30min, then I cover a baking sheet with foil, lay out the fish and pour on a bottled garlic and herb marinade. If we do tuna filets, I use a teriyake marinade. I broil them for maybe 15min, turning once in the middle. If they are particularly thick filets I will go 20min with them. KC Masterpiece makes the best marinades, the garlic herb is our most fave of all.

Comment

Originally posted by cottun View Post
                            Oh no! Tilapia is my favorite fish! I missed the show! What's wrong with it? Or do I want to know?
                            You don't want to know!!! I use to eat/buy Tilapia frequently. Threw away what I had in the freezer after that show! Won't order it in a restaurant.
                            Maybe ALL Tilapia are not raised that way, BUT...I DON'T want to eat the one that was!!!

Comment

i cook catfish on the grill, some butter and lemon juice,salt and pepper,youll never eat it fried again. well you will, but this is good, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X