Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these called in your area?

Description:
    Crisp corn tortilla with toppings, usually first layer is refried beans (but not always) followed by a meat layer, some cheese and some vegetables like shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes. Have seen some with just guacamole, sour cream and salsa.

Here in my favorite Mexican restaurant they are called tostadas.

When I was in San Antonio, at a restaurant on the river walk they were called chalupas.

What are they called in your area?
    Last edited by BobbiJo_AZ; 05-26-2008, 10:34 AM.

Where I grew in So. California they were Tostadas. Here in N. Central Texas they're Chalupas. A fewer mexican places here are now calling them tostadas

Comment

They are chalupas here, at least in all the places I have been. Sometimes they even have fish as a topping, kind of like fish tacos.

Comment

thats a tostada

Comment

They are called both here. I call them Tostada's because to me, Chalupa is a funny word!
          Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Tostadas. Chalupas are the same thing rolled up!

Comment

Beth, Are you thinking Taquitos?

Comment

tostadas are flat fried corn tortillas,chalupas are more like a taco, but softer.

Comment

They are called both names here in Georgia.

Comment

Chalupas are not rolled, they are a flat crisp corn tortillas with different toppings on them.

Comment

In Mexico, a chalupa is more doughy and fried. It looks like a little boat. A tostada is a thin crispy tortilla chip with all the toppings.

Here at the border, both are called a chalupa. Actually, I rarely see the Mexican style chalupa here.
                      A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by janabanana View Post
                        Beth, Are you thinking Taquitos?
                        Nope - taquitos are smaller and don't have as much stuff inside of them.

Comment

I see them listed both ways on the menu's here. I'll take either one!!

Comment

Growing up, my mom called them Tostada's. she fried the tortilla, added the bean, chorizo, lettuce, tomatoe onion, and topped it with sour cream and or guacamole YUMM!
                            I organize chores into catagories.
                            Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

What you describe is a tostada. A chalupa isn't made with just a tortilla. It has a flat, doughy outer shell with a tortilla inside, pasted together with refried beans and deep fried. Taquitos are corn tortillas with beef or chicken inside, rolled up tight and deep fried, usually dipped in guacamole sauce. At least this is what I'm familiar with.
                              Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

Working...
                              X