Dinner Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinner Dilemma

In two weeks I'm going to the beach with my family, we rent a house. Anyhow, we take turns in cooking dinners and I have no clue what to make when it's my turn (other than Sunshine Cake). I do know there is no grill at this house, at least not according to the website. There will be 8 people, 3 of which are grown men. Ideas please. Keep in mind, I'm not an experienced cook so would like something not that complicated. TIA.

Re: Dinner Dilemma

How about a frozen lasagne, green salad and garlic bread? I know it's not really beachy food, but it's easy.

Comment

do you have a good size crock pot?stews, roasts, brisquets can feed alot and are easy.

Comment

I'd call and check about a grill seems weird for a beach house not to have one.

Foil Baked BBQ Chicken

1/4 c water
        3 T Catsup
        3 T vinegar
        2 T. worcestershire sauce
        1 T lemon juice
        3 T Brown sugar
        2 T olive oil
        1 t salt
        1/2 t pepper
        1 t paprika
        1 t chili powder
        1 t dry mustard

Combine in a pot and heat to a boil.

Take 2 1/2 - 3 lbs chicken and dip each piece in sauce. Wrap loosley in foil and pour sauce over chicken, seal tightly but leave room for chicken to move around. bake for 1 hour at 350 and serve with rice.

I'm sure you could double/ triple it and just use BBQ sauce.

Vegetable Bake
        6 zucchini (small)
        3 red onions sliced thin
        3-4 cloves of garlic minced
        3-4 tomatoes cut in wedges
        1 each red, green and yellow pepper cut into 1/2 inch slices
        1-2 t oregano
        1-2 t thyme
        1-2 t. basil
        Oilive oil as needed
        1 c. white whine
        salt and pepper

Remove ends of zucchini, cut in quarters lengthwize and then into 1/2 inch sticks.
        Drizzle 2-3 T olive oil in a baking dish, break apart onions and spread 1/2 in bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle half the spices over the onions. Spread out tomato wedges, peppers and zucchini in layers. Spread remaining onions add rest of spices wine and salt and pepper to taste. Cover with foil bake at 375 for 20 minutes or till tender. Serve slightly warm. Serves 8.

Comment

If there is no grill how about boneless, skinless chicken breast with chunks of pineapple, green pepper, and onion with teriaki sauce, wrapped in foil and served with rice and another side.

Comment

Double this recipe for larger crowd..

Creamy Chicken Manicotti

8 Manicotti Shells
            1 can creamy chicken mushroom soup, undiluted
            1/2 cup sour cream
            2 cups chopped cooked chicken
            1/4 cup chopped onion
            2 Tbls margarine or butter, melted
            1 4oz can sliced mushrooms, undrained
            1 cup, shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese

Cook shells, drain, and set aside. Combine soup and sour cream; stir well. Combine half of the soup mixture and chicken; stir well. Set aside remaining soup mixture. Stuff manicotti shells with chicken mixture; place in a greased 13x9x2 baking dish. Saute onion in butter in a large skillet until tender; add mushrooms. Stir reserved soup mixture into mushroom mixture. Spoon over manicotti; bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, and bake an additional 5 minutes.

A day without laughter is a day wasted...Charlie Chaplin

Comment

I totally did not think of foil wrapped. The kraft site has lots of recipes.

Comment

This one is courtesy of Allrecipes. It's easy, feeds a lot, and everyone seems to love it. Add a salad and some garlic bread, and you've got a good meal!

Baked Ziti IV

Submitted by: SETHALLEN
                Rated: 5 out of 5 by 596 members

INGREDIENTS:
                1 pound dry ziti pasta
                1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
                1 onion, sliced
                1 teaspoon minced fresh
                rosemary
                4 cloves garlic, chopped
                1/2 pound ground beef
                1/2 pound ground pork
                sausage
                1 1/2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti

sauce
                salt to taste
                1 (6 ounce) package provolone
                cheese, sliced
                3/4 cup sour cream
                3/4 cup cottage cheese
                1 (6 ounce) package
                mozzarella cheese, shredded
                2 tablespoons freshly grated
                Parmesan cheese
                DIRECTIONS:
                1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
                2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in oil until tender. Stir in rosemary and garlic. Transfer to a small bowl.
                3. Place ground beef and sausage in the skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Stir in the onion mixture and the spaghetti sauce. Season with salt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
                4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. In the prepared dish, layer 1/2 of the cooked pasta, provolone cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, and a little less than 1/2 of the meat mixture. Then layer the rest of the pasta, mozzarella cheese, remaining meat mixture, and Parmesan cheese.
                5. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until heated through and cheeses are melted.

*I usually use Penne instead of Ziti. We prefer the smaller pasta...
                Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

for camping with the family we make chicken burritos, so I can cook the chicken breasts and thighs ahead of time, and put them into ziplock bags, to reheat when its time for dinner.

I serve it with refried bean, spanish rice, salad, tortillas, cheese, salsa so people make their own burrito. Every one loves it.....

I also serve enough lettuce, cheese, salsa and chips so that people can make taco salad if they don't want a burrito, and a taco bowl, with what ever they want.

Black olives, salsa, jalepeno slices, cheese (white, jack, cheddar, pepper jack), toritilla chips, what ever you like as mexican food works.

Paper plates, plastic bags to hold foods, big bowls for the meat & refried beans to be heated and served.

Comment

Check out the No Peek Casserole. You can adjust it to feed a crowd, it's easy and very good. I promise. Everyone will love it.

Comment

How about scampi??????? Salad, some pasta w/ olive oil and fresh chopped garlic and parm cheese?????

Scampi........

Get a few lbs of fresh shrimp.......peel and devein.

Melt 2 sticks of butter for about 1.5 lb of shrimp.

Add your chopped fresh garlic, can throw in a splash of white wine if you want. Dont brown the garlic!!!!!!

Add your shrimp for just a FEW minutes.........like TWO.....till they "pink up".

Voila.............dinner. Serve over or with cooked pasta and top w/ fresh parsley, garlic bread and a nice fresh green salad. YUMMO

Comment

How about a foil a foil wrapped bar? (I'm in the bar mood lately I think)
                        Start with foil sheets for people to "build their own" foil packet, then:
                        Place chicken breast portions, shrimp, and beef strips in separate containers.
                        Place things out like cherry tomatoes, sliced peppers, onions, zucchini, carrots, and mushrooms.
                        Have a few herbs on hand like fresh dill, basil, rosemary, etc.
                        and top it off with a few "basting sauces" like italian dressing, teriyaki sauce, BBQ sauce

I dont know...sounds good to me, and what an EASY clean up tha would be HUH?

Comment

Working...
                        X