Whew..what a relief..my handyman dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whew..what a relief..my handyman dilemma

I so dreaded calling a handyman to get an estimate on all my home repairs that needed to be done, because I was afraid I was going to get ripped off so bad! I called the only one that advertises in this area, and that scared me too, because I was afraid that since he was the only one, he could surely overcharge and get by with it.

He just left, and I am amazed...he was HUNDREDS of dollars cheaper than I figured he was going to charge me! In fact, to repair all the sheetrock damage in my living room that was caused by termites, to fix my shower where the water never got hot, to fix my sink stopper that would never go up and down, to mount a flagpole bracket on a post outside, to install a new shower-massage thingy in another bathroom, and to balance the feet on my washer so it will stop "walking" across the floor every time I use it, his estimate was only $120.00! That included all the materials he needs to do the jobs!

I am so pleased and relieved! Not just for this time, but I am so pleased that I dont need to be worried about calling him the next time something breaks down!

Re: Whew..what a relief..my handyman dilemma

I know exactly what you meant cottun. I'm looking for someone to do some "honey do" list stuff around the apartment right now. What a pain.
    I hope he is reliable and does a good job for ya. If so, hang on to him!

Comment

I'd go one further cottun....bake him some cookies or muffins. Good handypersons are so hard to find.

We got lucky with the first contractor we hired here. He has since done 3 more reno projects for us. We have even rescheduled just so he would be available. There are not many people that I trust to come into my home when I am not here. This person knows where the spare key is! And he and his crew always appreciated some home baking at break time.
      Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

WOW! what a find he is...around here they charge you that just to walk in the door!!!

Comment

I'd make sure to treat him good. It's great to hear about someone who doesn't over charge, but that's how he gets repeat customers. I'm with Ginger cook him something. If he's single, make a homemade meal to go, or even just some sweet stuff.

Comment

That's not a lot of money at all for labor and material. You better treat him good , sounds like he is a keeper!

Comment

chocolate cover ANYTHING...my DH loves that kinda stuff (oreos, nutter butters, graham crackers, nila wafers, strawberrys, wafer cookies, pretzels, cashew clusters, peanut/raison clusters, etc)

Comment

You know, after re-reading your post, I realized that most of the stuff you want him to do, really are the honey-do stuff. 10 minutes here, a little muscle there...the only thing that sounds like it will need some materials, is the sheetrock. Do you mean plastering some holes and cracks in your drywall or replacing it completely? If it is the latter, I would question the cost because it doesn't sound like he's charging enough to even cover the material. (Maybe he fell in love with you at first sight and is trying to get into your p...good books )
                Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Maybe he has material leftover from other jobs ???

Comment

Cottuns gotta boyfriend, Cottuns gotta boyfriend!!! lol

Comment

Nu is trying to cause trouble.....LOL

Comment

Not ME!!!! I NEVER cause trouble!!!

I AM trouble!! lol

Comment

Boyfriend?! Me?! Not hardly LOL. He's a happily married Christian man.

The sheetrock work involved holes only - 3 deep ones about the size of small dinner plates - so he only had to use some kind of plaster that he mixed up and sanding blocks. He has to come back and put on another coat in a few days.

I asked him how much he would charge to mount a 54" flatscreen TV on my wall next time when he comes back, and he said $40.00 - so he's gonna have that job too. Best Buy wanted to charge me $350 to have the Geek Squad to come out and do it

Comment

Cottun, hang on to him. Too bad I'm married cause I would marry him. Oh I can ,just need to live in the compound. If they can have many wives why can't I have many husbands??? Just joking, DH is on vacation this week and do I have a list for him. I think DH would rather pay him to do his list. Seems he is a nice guy and not over charging you, which is what you need. There are nice people out there, seems we always focus on the bad. You will be so happy when all these things get fixed.

Comment

I married my handyman... I call him Babe, but I should call him Mr. Handy... he can fix anything and do just about any job around the house. I told ya he's a keeper!!
                              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                              X