Can you spell.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you spell.....?

...Like those kids on the Scripps Spelling Bee tonight? Am I the only one who was drawn into this show? I know it sounds boring,(the show), but I am so impressed with these kids, plus I learned a lot of new definitions. (Like I'd even remember them).. I bet I hadn't heard of 99.9% of these words ! Let alone pronounce them...

Re: Can you spell.....?

I haven't seen the show, But, I can't spell at all!!! Thank goodness for spell check, (when I remember to use it!!!) lol

Comment

I love to watch that spelling bee. I watch it every year. I hate to see them get so close and lose. I don't know most of the words either. They amaze me.
      DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

www.myspace.com/luvkidrock4ever

Comment

Dan and I watched it also... It was pretty amazing... We really thought that the kid with the mustache and high voice was going to win... Those were some really hard words!! I felt really bad for the kids too. You could see how stressed out they all were...
        Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I am the worlds' worst speller. So, I did an extensive search to find out why. Other then a few childhood issues, it seems that I access a dysfunctional auditory memory storage bank when attempting to spell. Excellent spellers access their visual memory bank in addition to knowing the phonetic rules of the language.
          Try it yourself.. attempt to spell a difficult word... Did you recall it by hearing it? or visualizing it?

Comment

I'm a pretty good speller, but I usually have to write the word down.....could never do what those kids do orally, espcially under that level of pressure.

(However, after working with special ed children for several years, my spelling skills have deteriorated......almost anything looks okay to me now! If I can figure it out from the context, I'll accept it. Don't think that would win many contests, though, would it.)

Comment

I always think I can until I watch those kids. Yikes. I'm so impressed. Maybe learning something phonetically does have a place after all. My kids were in school before I ever heard of the concept, but I'm sure that's the case with most of older gals here.

Comment

I've always been an excellent speller, but like Gayle, I sometimes have to write a word in order to spell it. I was never good at spelling bees growing up. For some odd reason I always seem to attract men who can't spell at all.
                Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

I can't spell worth a darn.............my best friend is Webster. LOL

Comment

I absolutely believe in phonetics. I was raised on it. When DD started school, they taught the 'look and read' method. Forget about sounding things out. I remember reading with her, and when she came to word she did not recognize, she said "Mama, I can't read that word yet because teacher hasn't told me what it is." That was the day that we started teaching phonics at home. When DD realized that she didn't have to wait for teacher to tell her a word, but could actually sound it out for herself, she became a voracious reader.

I love the spelling bee competitions. It shows me that there are still teachers, parents and children who realize that spelling and grammar are just as important as content. If you write something and no one else can understand it, what have you accomplished?
                    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Working...
                    X