Belly Button piercing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belly Button piercing

ahhhh, DD 14!!!! is wanting to get her belly buttom pierced. I'm not sure about this,,,her friend 15, got hers done the other day, and now DD wants hers done, well she has always wanted it done but, whatever. I think, on one hand, it is not like a tatoo where it is always there, this is body jewellry. I'm really hesitant about this. What are your views on this? Is it too young? or am I just being to prudish in this day and age?
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Re: Belly Button piercing

it all depends on your dd. How responsible is she? The piercing takes a lot of care until it heals up.
    My niece took hers out because it hurt her too much, but my dd still has hers in after a few years.
    Personally, I think 14 is too young. 16 maybe....18 better

Comment

Found this. It's what my dd had to do

Navel piercing
      Clean your belly button 2 times daily (no more, no less) with antibacterial soap. Before cleaning, use a cu-tip soaked in warm water to gently remove any crust that may have formed around the ring.

In addition to regular cleanings, salt-water soaks work well to promote healing. You can buy non-iodized sea salt and put about 1/2 tsp in 1/4 cup of cooled boiled water. Put this in a shot glass or small medicinal cup and bend over. Place it over your navel, lie down and kill 15 minutes. This helps get rid of any pending infections.
      Other than for cleanings and salt water soaks, leave your piercing alone. Do not move your navel jewelry around. If you want to see it, look in a mirror.
      Avoid swimming pools and spas. If you must, be sure to clean your navel immediately afterwards with antibacterial soap.
      Lavender oil and tea tree oil may help speed healing. To be sure that you are using the essential oils appropriately, consult your piercing professional before using them.
      Wear a waterproof bandage over a new (up to six months) piercing when swimming to avoid bacterial contamination.
      Avoid using laundry detergents that contain stain fighting enzymes on clothing that will come into direct contact with the piercing. The enzymes can impede healing.
      Don't touch your new belly button piercing with dirty hands.
      Don't let other people touch it... or lick it.
      Replace your belly button piercing jewelry only after your piercing has completely healed (usually 6 months to a year).
      When you are ready to replace your belly button ring, select a quality piece of jewelry the does not contain nickel to avoid a possible allergic reaction. You can find a great selection of nickel-free gold belly rings at AlluringBody.
      Although the belly button piercing is one of the most popular piercings it can be one of the most difficult to heal. It can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to heal. Curved barbells should be used to wear initially after the piercing as they allow for the safest and fastest healing. Wearing tight waistbands or frequent activity involving bending at the waist can prolong healing time. The pressure of waistbands can force the ring to one side causing the piercing to heal crookedly and scar. Too much pressure can cause the piercing to migrate or reject completely.

Comment

Been there, I think DD was 14-15yrs and did it, I was so against it, one day she had a tank top on & I saw a lump. I said pull up your shirt, sure enough belly button ring & it was infected, I said who did it?? I gave no consent. I was so mad. Seems this guy did have a lic. to do it but he did things on the side for extra money, she had Christmas money & did it. So I said take the ring out (she got a cheap ring from Walmart) she heal. Ok now 18yrs old got Christmas money again, did it and did it right no infection and her little skinny body it is nice. Most girls do have it done, just make sure it is done right & a good ring. I know how you feel, but they love it for some reason. If she has the money and you feel right about it then OK. Either way, she will do it when she turns 18yrs.

Comment

One word would do it for me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Pick ur battles......cause if she doesn't get to do it, there's a bigger battle looming just ahead! If you have no strong feelings against it then let her get it done since 15 yo friend has had hers done!!

Comment

I haven't had this done, but friends of mine have. You really gotta keep this clean. I mean really clean. Otherwise it turns into something nasty.

Comment

I would probably make her wait a few more years. It's not hard to maintain, you just have to keep it clean and dry. I've had mine pierced for almost two years now.

Here's my story:
                My DH wanted me for the longest to get a belly ring. Of course I would chicken out everytime we would drive by the tattoo shop that did it. Finally one Saturday I thought just do it Nicki!! Well I did and it didn't hurt a bit, I think getting your ears done hurt worse. Anywho, we went to my parents house to visit afterwards and DH said show your mom what you did today. Just remind everyone at the time I was 31 yrs. old. So, I lifted up my shirt and she threw a fit!! He always gets me in trouble, LOL!!

If you do let her do it then get her some dial soap in a pump, so she can wash it in the shower everyday. She must dry it off completely!!! Just keep it clean and dry, don't be touching it with your hands. Of course they'll tell you all this stuff when she does get it done. Another No No: No cheap belly rings either!! When I change mine I ALWAYS wash the ring going in with some dial before putting it in.

Comment

I got mine done 9 years ago, never had a problem at all.

Comment

MY OPINION: I don't think you are prudish regardless of the day and age we live in. And, while I agree on "choosing your battles," your daughter is still a child and I don't feel body piercings fit in the category of letting a child choose for herself. Parents set boundaries for reasons. 14-year olds don't need to be "sexy" by following all the trends and I for one hate to see parents consenting and condoning it.

MY EXPERIENCE: My daughter wanted one when she was 16 and her dad was absolutely against it. Sure, she chafed, but she respected our decision (mostly out of fear, I admit.) When she was a few months shy of her 18th birthday, I consented under the condition that it be done by a reputable, licensed individual and that she pay for it herself ~ she would have done it immediately upon turning 18 any how. But 18 is quite different from 14. Even so, she hid the piercing from her father for nearly a year.

Comment

Had that argument with DD about Tongue peircing. She had hers done after she moved out. Peircing is not permanent like a tatoo. Sometimes you have to think about what the lesser of two evils will be if she doesn't do it, what else will she do.

Comment

I let DD do it when she was about that age. I gave aher a few goals to meet and told her that once she met them, she could do it. I kind of figured it would never happen, but it did, lol. She has taken care of it, loves buying new jewlery especialy in the summertime. I figure it's not a big deal. If they change their mind later then it can just be left alone and it will close up. Like someone else said, pick your battles. At least it isn't her tounge or her eyebrow. This can be covered up if necessary.

Jan

Comment

I see no problem with the Belly Button piercing. It is not visible, unless you want it to be, and if you change your mind down the road, just let it close up. Now, tongue or face? EWWW. Too visible, ugly, and not good for job interviews!
                          Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I do NOT like facial or tongue peircings. I don't understand why they want to do them. My boss always says, when he was a kid boy's growing hair long was their rebelion, then came tatoos, then peircings, and insertions of ballbearings and such. He says what's the next generation going to do to rebel. It's scary to think about it.

Comment

I always stalled for time, with the hopes that dd would outgow her need to have it done. 2-4 years is a long time, and in that time, she may have heard enough horror stories to deter her from having it. No such luck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X