Any gardeners here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any gardeners here?

I am getting really confused about deadheading plants. I've researched online and read everything I can about it, but I'm still confused about how much to cut off on plants like lupines or carnations. Do I only cut off the flowers, or do I cut the whole stem off from down at the ground level?
    Last edited by cottun; 06-02-2008, 07:51 AM.

Re: Any gardeners here?

Originally posted by cottun View Post
    I am getting really confused about deadheading plants. I've researched online and read everything I can about it, but I'm still confused about how much to cut off on plants like lupines or carnations. Do I only cut off the flowers, or do I cut the whole stem off from down at the ground level?
    I've never deadheading my lupines, I like them to go to seed and spread, once the seeds spread I cut the whole stem off. I've never grown carnations. For geranims I break the stem off, for petunias just the flower.

Comment

Google Deadheading Plants for extensive info on methods for different plants depending your purpose (to keep seeds or not) and depending on the type of plant.

Comment

who was it that just graduated and is now a master garderner? brain dead here!
        http://weatherpixie.com/index.php?&h...=AZ&place=KFFZ

i didnt loose it! ...........i sold it on ebay!

Comment

ok....now i feel REALLY stupid! lol did a search and it is azucar, sorry. (hangs head in shame)
          http://weatherpixie.com/index.php?&h...=AZ&place=KFFZ

i didnt loose it! ...........i sold it on ebay!

Comment

That's OK, Chop. I don't pretend to know all about gardening but I do know where to find the answers. Researching was stressed in class. We also have the experience of more seasoned master gardeners that we can draw on. plantanswer.com is an excellent source for most gardening problems.

Comment

Thanks for that site, Azucar. I have searched so many sites for the answers about deadheading, and they werent clear how much I should cut off. I couldnt find the answers I needed at plantanswer either, but I did submit the questions for an emailed response. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I just cut the flower itself off if the stem has foliage growing on it. If it's a flower on a bare-naked stem I cut off the stem down to where it starts.
                If it's something you want to re-seed itself (like the lupines) you can wait until the seedhead is dried and cut the whole thing off. Some things like hostas I definitely don't want to re-seed and I cut off the flower stalk right away. Hope this helps some!

Comment

Thanks ChickyP! Between your advice and the advice that was emailed to me today from the site that Azucar gave me, I've finally know what I have to do. Basically, the master gardner who emailed me today said that it doesnt matter WHERE you cut them off, because the whole purpose of dead-heading is to keep them from re-seeding. I'm a novice gardener - I was thinking that if I dead-headed just right, it would promote more blooms this year.

Comment

Working...
                  X