Nutmeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutmeg

How old is too old? I made pumpkin bread last night and it tasted fine right after baking it, but this morning it seemed a little flat-tasting. I used some nutmeg that I bought last thanksgiving. Is that too old? Does it lose it's potency after awhile?

Re: Nutmeg

I Have A Jar Of Nutmeg I Got Years And Years Ago And It Still Smells/tastes Good And Nutmeggy (is That A Word?) I've Thought Of Tossing It, But It Still Good As Far As I Can Tell. But I've Got A Couple Whole Nugmegs I Use Now. There Is A Difference In Taste, To Me Anyway

Comment

WOW, Did you know???

Nutmeg may be toxic
      Nutmeg contains a substance called myristicin, a narcotic with very unpleasant toxic side effects if taken in large quantities. Ingestion of small amounts of nutmeg is harmless to the body, however the consumption of one to three whole nutmegs (in excess of one teaspoon ground) can cause wild hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, and/or circulatory collapse within one to six hours after consumption. Very large doses can be fatal. Although nutmeg is said to counteract stomach distress from gas, do not try any home remedies without first consulting your physician. It is also an astringent and stimulant, as well as a purported aphrodisiac.

Comment

I would not think it is the nutmeg. But we grate our's fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post
          WOW, Did you know???

Nutmeg may be toxic
          Nutmeg contains a substance called myristicin, a narcotic with very unpleasant toxic side effects if taken in large quantities. Ingestion of small amounts of nutmeg is harmless to the body, however the consumption of one to three whole nutmegs (in excess of one teaspoon ground) can cause wild hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, and/or circulatory collapse within one to six hours after consumption. Very large doses can be fatal. Although nutmeg is said to counteract stomach distress from gas, do not try any home remedies without first consulting your physician. It is also an astringent and stimulant, as well as a purported aphrodisiac.
          Wow, no , I didn't know that. I think I throw my nutmeg out and start over. LOL Mine is at least a year old or maybe more.

Comment

I thought most spices lose some of their strength after 6 months.

Comment

Use a whole nutmeg and grate it yourself. There is absolutely no comparison. The flavour is much better.

Comment

Does that mean we can get high from nutmeg? Better not tell any teenageers, it will be the new rage.

Comment

My cat is named Nutmeg

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
                    Does that mean we can get high from nutmeg? Better not tell any teenageers, it will be the new rage.

I can see this influx of teens to the supermarkets buying nutmeg "for their mom's"
                    lol

Comment

I don't think it would make your recipe bad. I have some old I use. Is not as flavorful but I doubt it would be a real problem. It's like any spice that's older.
                      www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

The recipe wasn't bad, it just tasted a "little" flat after it cooled all night. I put it in the frig and it got better again. Weird!! The recipe may need more salt too.

Comment

Working...
                        X