How long do you let it boil?

Re: Corn on the Cob

If it was picked that day 5-7 minutes, if older I cook longer may 10

Comment

For large field corn, 8-10 minutes. for smaller sweet corn, 6-8 minutes

Comment

It's the best grilled IMO.. But the secret to boiling is bring the pot to rolling boil, add a TBS of sugar, drop the cobs in, cover the pot and turn off the heat and let it set for 6-8 minutes. If you grill them, wrap them in foil after smearing butter on them. Cook them for 10-15 mins, rolling around every few minutes. They will get charred a bit which makes them so good !!

Comment

You're not supposed to boil corn. I bring the water to a boil, add corn, return to boil and turn off heat. Cover. Then let steep for 10 minutes. It's always tender.

He drew a circle that shut me out -
          Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
          But Love and I had the wit to win:
          We drew a circle that took him in.
          -Edwin Markham

Comment

We never boiled either. We would turn the stove off, then add the corn. Grandma said when you can smell the corn, its done.

Comment

Thanks everyone....I did add some sugar. Think I'd like to grill some also but do you leave the husks on for that?

Comment

I soak my corn unhusked and then nuke it for about 2 minutes an ear. Fabulous

Comment

Originally posted by sameoldkris View Post
                  Thanks everyone....I did add some sugar. Think I'd like to grill some also but do you leave the husks on for that?
                  You can, but I don't like to becuz they burn and fly all over the grill..

Comment

hmmm, I never heard that you aren't supposed to boil corn. I'm gonna try it your way next time.

Comment

You can grill two ways

1. is to soak corn for at least 2 hours in water and then just put on the grill husk and all. It basically steams it.

2. which is how i do it, just slap it on the grill, keep a close eye on the husk don't let it start to burn. keep turning. everything just peels off wonderfully

dragun

Comment

Someone told me one time, you only have to cook the corn, not the cob.

Comment

I never boil either.

To grill: pull back husks and clean silks as usual then replace husks and soak in water for at least an hour. If I am going to grill I let them soak in the water all day. That will keep them from drying up and becoming brittle during grilling. I absolutely love the flavor of grilled corn.
                          Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dragun6 View Post
                            You can grill two ways

1. is to soak corn for at least 2 hours in water and then just put on the grill husk and all. It basically steams it.

2. which is how i do it, just slap it on the grill, keep a close eye on the husk don't let it start to burn. keep turning. everything just peels off wonderfully

dragun

That's exactly how we cook it. It's always delicious!!!
                            "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

i always steem my corn on the cob in my veggie steamer, about 15 minutes
                              SHEL

Comment

Working...
                              X