a plea for help for my dog...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a plea for help for my dog...

My day to day life has been in chaos lately. My mother has been in hospital for almost a month and likely to be there for a long time yet plus I'm trying to keep my house and our business in order. I need at least 36 hours in each day. I need some helpful advice and I immediately knew where to come.

A week ago, our beautiful and loved Maltese terrier, Kelly, passed away. She was about 14 years old and suffered a lot in her last two days as her organs shut down. We loved her like one of our children and tears still come quickly whenever we talk about her.

We also have a one year old Jack Russell dog named Lucy. Lucy used to follow Kelly everywhere and is very obviously mourning for her. Lucy always waited for Kelly to start eating before she would eat her own dinner and when Kelly went to bed at night, so would Lucy. Since Kelly's passing, Lucy has stopped eating and won't go near her bed. She's also pee'ing inside which is something she hadn't done for many, many months. Before, whenever Kelly went outside to pee, Lucy went with her and they pee'd side by side.

Lucy is now a lost little dog and it's very obvious to us that she's confused as to where Kelly has gone.

Any advice?
    I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Re: a plea for help for my dog...

I don't have any advice, but I'm so sorry for your loss. I feel sorry for your little Lucy.

Comment

thanks, AllieK... we really miss Kelly. I've attached a photo of her
      I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

I have tears in my eyes just reading this.. I'm sorry for your loss, and I don't have any advice to help you. I have never been in your situation. The only thing that comes to mind is to get another little dog for her.. I really don't know. I have a yellow lab who's name is Lucy too.. And Kelly's picture is just precious. I hope you find the answer soon. Maybe there is something online you can check into.

Comment

Aww..what a beautiful puppy she is! I am so sorry about your loss, Chayote!

A few months ago one of my beloved kitties died. I got 2 of them for Christmas, and they were best buddies. When Prince George died, my other kitty, Clea, went into mourning too. Her behavior was really bizarre, and she too stopped eating for a while. I considered getting her another playmate to ease her pain, but before I could find one, her behavior started to change again, in a good way. She seems to be fine now. Just very "needy" for constant affection and attention. And thats okay with me.

No one could ever take Kelly's place, of course, but would you consider getting Lucy another playmate? Sounds like your life is pretty busy right now! Maybe Lucy, like my Clea, will get used to things soon and find her own way to deal with the loss.

Comment

Jana and Cottun... thank you both. I'm encouraged that Lucy may come good in her own time. Another dog is not possible at the moment. With caring for Mum and also a dog and 4 horses, I can't add any more. We barely cope with what we have. I'll keep it in mind though. I admit that I've already checked the website on dogs at our local pound...

I've now attached a photo of Lucy looking much happier than she does at the moment.

Comment

dont have an answer for you, sorry. but am sorry for the loss of your dog.
              http://weatherpixie.com/index.php?&h...=AZ&place=KFFZ

i didnt loose it! ...........i sold it on ebay!

Comment

thank you, chop. So often people don't understand how much love we have for our dogs.

I'm thinking that maybe I should take Lucy to the vet to make sure nothing else is going on...

Comment

Awww...look at that smile she has! You are so blessed, Chayote! I hope that one day soon Lucy will get that beautiful smile back!

Comment

I would feed her from your hand and get someone to take her out for a bit. I'd probably wait 2 weeks before I did anything drastic because time can help. Calling the vet for advice would not hurt.
                    www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

We got a dog, housebroken. He was so good not going in the house, then I went to work so came home to some pee. Went to Vet and said weekends fine but week days bad. Vet said the dog is mad that we left him in the house by himself so he is getting back by peeing in the house. Maybe your dog is mad that she lost her friend. We also had 2 cats & one passed away, the other one did the same thing not eatting that much and running in all the rooms looking for her friend. It was sad but it took time and now she had adjusted to it. At first I thought the same thing, get another one. Hope your Mom is doing better, haven't heard from you in awhile. Know you are busy taking care of her. Wish you the best and hope things get better for you.

Comment

This post really tugged at my Heart Strings! I'm so sorry to read of this heartache in your life. Lucy lost her best friend and it's going to take some time for her to get better I'm sure.
                        Hang in there Kiddo.
                        **Life may not be the Party we had hoped for....
                        But while we are here, we might as well Dance
                        .....**

Comment

((Chayote)) So sorry to hear about your loss. I would suggest treating Lucy as if she was not housebroken at all. Take her outside every hour, to a place that both dogs would use, eventually, she WILL pee outside and at that point praise her excessively and give her a very yummy treat.

As for not eating, I think SJP's idea is good initially, just to get some food into her. And you can try putting small amounts of food into her bowl and sitting with her while enticing her to eat.
                          Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Kelly's picture was so cute. Lucy is just missing her buddy, give her some time and she will come to grips with it. We had 2 shelties years ago, one had an epilipic (sp) fit, had to take her to the vet, while there she had a heart attack and died. On recommendation of our vet, we brought her home, let our other sheltie look at her and sniff, then we buried her. We gave our remaining sheltie alot of attention and love. We had no problems. Like previous poster said, just give Lucy some time, I think another pup at this time would compound problems for you and Lucy, but maybe eventually you will want to add another member to your clan.

Comment

I don't have any advice either, but I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing our furbabies is the worst! At least you know how much she was loved, not only by her humans, but by her best pal, Lucy.

Prayers for your mom and for you, Chayote! Your plate is full!!! ((((hugs))))
                              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                              X