How long do cats live???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do cats live???

Ok, seriously, I have never owned a cat and well I married a cat man. He has one cat left. We unfortunately had to put the other down due to severe illness.

So, he thinks this cat is 15 or 14 years old. And don't go all crazy on me, I hate the thing. I hate cat litter, the cat litter dust, the fur, and the constant meowing at me. Oh and did I mention I HATE the smell of cat food.

How long do cats live? she is well cared for and pampered.

Just curious
    dragun

Re: How long do cats live???

Wendy! Are you going to take the information and start a countdown calendar!!
    (Just kidding!)

I am with you, don't care for the litterbox, smells, etc. I am a dog person. Love other people's cats, but won't have one myself. Been there, done that. So, I just love on everyone elses now!!
    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

My friend's cat is 18 years old. My cat died at 14 and they were sisters.

Comment

his cat is on his last leg..or on his 8th life. Maybe 2-3 more years...or may be tomorrow.

Comment

My BIL's cat lived a healthy 21 years. They were devestated when the time came. I have never had one past 15 years.

I am a cat person. I love dogs--I just DO NOT NEED ANOTHER KID!!!!! And as long as I live in the country, I WILL have a cat. (Just in case DH reads this post--he's the dog guy)
          Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

My vet says, with proper care, cats can live for 25 years.

Comment

DD loves cats, I never thought I would but do. One cat died around 14yrs & we got a 13yr old still got some pep in her, can jump when she wants but not a peppy as a kitten. Litter box, I got the electric one and love it, give her dry food hate to open those cans.

Comment

25 years?? Lord have mercy. That's all I need.

Comment

I absolutely love and adore cats...I've lost two precious kitties...They lived until 13 and 15 years of age.

My mom's vet had a cat that lived for just over 25 years...She brought her cat to the office every day and it would lay on the desk and greet everyone.
                  Last edited by cheft; 06-04-2008, 06:37 AM.
                  A friend is one who walks in when others walk out
                  ~Walter Winchell

Comment

My little Queen is getting to be something in her old age, she meowed so much 6am this morning looking for treats. She gets us up then she goes off to sleep, wish she could figure out weekends are not the same as week days. You either love cats or not. I am suprised that I do, I really was a dog person.

Comment

I've had 3 kitties in my adult life. Toby my first lived to be 17 yrs her health got so bad she had to be put down 4 yrs ago and I still miss her dearly. Yeller is a rescue cat that showed up at our house one day, vet said some had tried to choke her and broke her vocal box and guessed her age at the time to be between 10 and 12 yrs this was 2001. Since she stayed at out house when we moved in to take care of MIL she went downhill. Hopefully I can get her back to normal when we move home in a couple of weeks. Anni is only 3 and I hope and pray I have many many years with her.

My vet said on average is an outside cat live past it's first yr they have an average of 7 yrs but a house cat lives and average of 15 to 17 yrs. All of mine are indoor/outdoor cats.
                      ""Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric.""

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post
                        25 years?? Lord have mercy. That's all I need.
                        Lord have mercy is right. I have two cats, one of which I HATE. She has started using spots other than the litterbox and it's driving me nuts. I'm not emotionally attached to her but I still feel it's heartless to put her down. Don't know what to do.

Edited to add: She is 12.

He drew a circle that shut me out -
                        Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
                        But Love and I had the wit to win:
                        We drew a circle that took him in.
                        -Edwin Markham

Comment

I have a couple that are between 14 and 15. I really do not know on one, he was picked up b/c he was abandonned. I had a friend of mine cat's make it to 18.

Comment

Well, ok, so it could be so much longer. ugh!
                            thanks for all the info. We used to feed her hard food, but then she lost 2 teeth and now she can only eat soft food.

dragun

Comment

25 Wow!

I had 2 die at 17 (both males) and the females were 15 and 16.

I'm surprised. I really always thought that once a person lived with a cat/s and got to know them, that they'd fall in love with the species. This is the first time in my adult life I haven't had a cat/s in the house as well as dogs, but when the last one died I made the decision not to get anymore. Schlepping the litter was just getting to be too much for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X