need suggestions for a good book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need suggestions for a good book

Please no romance novels or gruesome mystery book.

Re: need suggestions for a good book

If you haven't read Jodi Picoult you may like her style - I haven't read a book of hers yet that I didn't like. She has a good website too.

Comment

I too would recommend anything by Picoult. I just finished her "Nineteen Minutes".

Another author I like is Patricia Gaffney and particularly enjoyed her "Circle of Three".

Comment

Have you read Water for Elephants? The Kite Runner? A Thousand Splendid Suns? The Power of One? (awesome, by the way) Same Kind of Different as Me? Angela's Ashes? Tis? Teacher Man?

Let me know if you need more!! Those are all GREAT books!!!

I am getting ready to start reading "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. Has anyone else read this? I was told it was a really good book...
        Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Anybody know of any good cop/detective books?

Comment

Jana, have you read Robert Crais?? He is my VERY FAVORITE AUTHOR!!! He has a series of Elvis Cole novels. They are GREAT!!! He is so witty and funny, that you will laugh one minute, and be on the edge of your seat the next!

I have also read all of the Sue Grafton books. They are great too.

Linda Barnes has a series with Carlotta Carlysle. They are also really good...
            Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Lauren, I'm not much of a reader and know nothing about these authors. Are Elvis Cole novels detective/crime books? And the other 2 you mentioned?

Comment

Yep. Elvis Cole, (Author Robert Crais) is an Ex-cop turned Private Eye. They are such good books!! Google Robert Crais, he is the only author I have ever actually written to. And, he replied! He is also one of the writers on Law and Order, I think....

Sue Grafton's Character, Kinsey Milhone, is also Ex-cop turned Private Eye. And, I think Carlotta Carlisle, (Author Linda Barnes) is also..
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Thanks Lauren, I'll check the library for them.. I'm going camping next week and will be sitting around lot, so thought I'd bring a book.

Comment

Jana, do Google Robert Crais, visit his website, read a couple of excerpts from the Elvis Cole books, and let me know what you think. If you are interested, I will send you his books. I just happen to have all of them, or at least most of them.... they are great!!!! Action packed, and funny to boot!
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If you haven't read Eat, Pray, Love yet I highly recommend it. If you are a dog lover read Rescuing Sprite but I have to warn you it is a real tear jerker - I bawled my eyes out.

Comment

LaurenB , I have read all the books you suggested except The Power Of One. All the ones you mentioned are great books.

I have read most of the Jodi Picoult books. Really like Nineteen Minutes and My Sister's Keeper. I thought The Pact and Change of Heart were o.k. Did not like Vanishing Acts.

My favorite mystery writer is Harlan Coben.

Comment

I have read a few Harlan Coben, and I do like him too! See if you can find "The Power of One". If you read and liked all of the books I mentioned, you WILL like this one! May have been a Pulitzer Prize winner? I can't remember now.....

Also, even if you saw the series eons ago......."Roots" (the book) was probably one of the best books I have ever, ever read........
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Lauren, I just reserved The Power Of One at the library. Have you read Snow Flower and The Secret Fan or The Red Tent? Another one my book club and I enjoyed was A Thousand White Women.

Comment

o yes, pillars is right up there near the top, and then the sequel world that follows, i emailed follet and told him to please write another , i just could not put these down,

Comment

Working...
                              X