What was your feeling when your son started dating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your feeling when your son started dating

After what I'm feeling tonight I feel like I'm going to turn into one of those monster mother-n-laws. For the first time I'm going through this. My son went to his Jr. High dance. I'm sad at home thinking how I'm not the only woman in his life anymore. I don't mean this in a sick way but I guess in a way that I was the only one to rule his life and tell him what to do and not some other girl (eventually). I guess I'm just having a hard time with my realizing my kids are growing up and it's making me tearful....where did yesterday go?

Re: What was your feeling when your son started dating

Awwww DinDin, you poor thing! All of mine are grown and gone now, and believe it or not, you do get over it! At times I wish I had them all back too, but how silly is that - theyre only ours to nurture and love and teach, but all of that is in preparation for them to be able to do it on their own one day. I think its exciting seeing my children become adults and have relationships of their own! As much as it hurts a parent when their children make the WRONG choices, its equally rewarding when I see them making good choices! I sit here and listen to their sagas on the phone, and sometimes I can even give myself a pat on the back for having taught them well.

Comment

Hi DinDin -- I remember it well. Mine was an only child and I felt like you're feeling. But I thought back at mine & DH's own teen years when we had such fun and made great lifelong friends and I could only wish my son the same memories. You taught him well and nurtured him lovingly so enjoy his teen years along with him. Once he started dating, our house was filled with teenagers constantly. The cheerleaders changed in my bedroom on their way to the after-game parties and they usually wore my son's shirts. Such a wonderful time for our kids. We give them roots to give them wings.

Comment

Yes they do grow up. I can only talk about DD so really don't know about boys. Jr. High it's so cute, then high school. Wow!!! some of the boys that came threw my door. DH & I just look at eachother. Where did she find this guy?? Then we laugh. We like this new one but she leaves for college in the fall so I really don't think this will work out. They got to date to find themselves. You will see some girls that you may like but he won't. Rule #1 don't ask him too many questions about the girl, they clam up so fast. Little by little you will hear things. He is showing signs of growing up by starting to date. Wait til someone breaks his heart. Somehow they do bounce back. I wish you luck.

Comment

Very well said azucar "we give them roots to give them wings". That's what I have always done. Believe me I love both of my son's girlfrinds. My oldest (son26) girlefriend god bless her she has a son 5 and she is a preschool treacher also for autism kids too, and I told her no you have 2 kids cuz I know how he is. We get along great. My youngest (son20) has had his girlfriend 4 1/2 yrs and get along great with her as well. I did have a VERY hard time letting anyone with my youngest he was my last and MY baby but I have learned to adjust. Just alittle background on me & hubby I'm 45 he is 55 and have been MARRIED 28 yrs you do the math!!!!! My hubby is wonderful and LOVE him soo much. So all I can say is be happy and try to get along with the son's girlfriends it make life SOOOOO much easier.

Food Gal

Comment

my ds is in highschool and is to shy to ask a girl on a date..plus he can't date until he's 16yrs old..when the time comes..i think i would probably feel the same way..

Comment

I guess I felt the same way a little, but I was relieved because I would had rather him been with a girl on the weekends than running around with the guys. I felt like he was safer.

I have always liked his girlfriends though. He has settled down now and is a daddy and I couldn't ask for a better daughter in law. I love Darcy with all my heart.
              DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

www.myspace.com/luvkidrock4ever

Comment

Working...
              X