Cleaning Mini Blinds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Mini Blinds...

What's your trick in cleaning them fast? I can't take them off the windows to soak in the tub. It takes me forever cleaning one row at a time.. Are there any cool gadgets out there or is just a rag a soap the only way..? I have 6 huge windows to tackle this weekend.

Re: Cleaning Mini Blinds...

When I had them (I have since gotten rid of every last one!) I would take them off and go to the car wash. Clip them on the wall clips (where you're supposed to clip your car rugs) and power wash them. It worked well.

Comment

I had them in one of my other houses and I hated to clean them. My husband would take them off the windows and lay them out in the yard so I could clean them and then hang them on a clothesline to dry. Pain in the butt to take care off.
      If there is a shortcut to cleaning them I don't know about, short of hiring someone to do it for you. LOL Needless to say I don't have mini blinds anymore

Comment

I have not cleaned them in years. They are so inexpensive anymore that I just replace them when they get all yucky. When we build I will get them in between the glass. My friend has them and loves them. They have been in their home for four years and they still look immaculate between the glass.
        Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a whole sunroom full of them and hate them like the plague. Thought I was doing something easy and convenient when I put them up. I am planning on changing them for either Roman shades or straight curtains.
          Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

I much prefer plantation shutters or at least blinds with a very wide slate.

Comment

I had the cellular shades when we lived in Atlanta and loved those, but they were expensive.
              Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

My daughter has them in between the glass & she loves them--no cleaning. I hate the things. Even putting them in the tub was a pain. I don't have any blinds now. Hope you find an easy solution.

Comment

If you have a place to hang them outside, open them a little bit and spray scrubbing bubbles on them...on both sides. Let it sit awhile and then with a power nozzle, spray them off on both sides.
                  I tried this the other day and it worked pretty good, but mine were so greasy and nicotine-stained that I had to wipe some of them off with a rag. If you have them closed up tight, the little stip on the edge where the blinds overlap will not get clean.

Comment

I have no way of taking them down. I am renting my house and don't have a clue how they put them up.. I guess I'll have to continue to clean them the old fashion way, one row at a time.. they are very long too...

Comment

All blinds have a way to take them down. They have ends, that may have little screws in them to hold them in (look from the bottom at the very ends of the blinds). They could also have little hooks in the middle to support the middles. Just undo the ends, pich up to clear the little hooks in the middle and slide them out. They may be easier to handle if you open them against the top first.

Ohhh, I forgot to add>>>If there is a little flat plate over the ends where they should slide out, just slide that little plage toward the middle. Once you get that little plate off, you shoudl be able to slide the blind out.
                      Last edited by AllieK; 06-07-2008, 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

I looked Allie, and it seems pretty tight up there.. Plus I have limited use of my hands when it comes to pinching and grasping. It's hard to explain, but the way they blinds are tucked under the coving, it'd just be too difficult for me to manuver by myself. Thanks for trying to walk me through it... :-)

Comment

Maybe you can get your landlord to come and help. He should appreciate you wanting to clean them.

Comment

HA !! I wish Allie ! They don't do squat for me. I even have to pay someone to mow my lawn and pull weeds, and pay for pest control !!

Comment

Mine are regular blinds and I use a swifter(sp). The one on the stick fits perfectly and yes it is a pain so they only get done every 30 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X