Bridal shower..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridal shower..??

I can't believe at my age I have nver been to a bridal shower..
    Well a friend of mine is getting married and her shower is on the 21st... They have been together for like 9yrs and have a 3yr old... What do I buy her?? Without getting to obsene? I figure she will get enough of that from her sisters & other friends. I have known her since she was 3, lost touch from age 17 to 31. Only been in touch last 5yrs and seldom at that. She is 36.

Re: Bridal shower..??

Find out if she is registered somewhere. After being together that long it probably would be a good idea if she did get registered.

Comment

If they have been together for 9 years already, I doubt that there is anything she really would "need". Wouldn't you think after all that time that you have it all together?

Comment

Money is always good, or a gift card to bed bath and beyond. Also, as this is a recipe board, how about your favorite recipes.
        www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

how about a gift certificate for dinner out, and you could offer to babysit?

Comment

You can never have to many cookbooks.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I think it's ridiculous to have a shower. Then there's the wedding present too. She should just invite all the women out for drinks and dinner or something. What could she possibly need after 9 years together? I guess money would be the answer. I'm just a stick in the mud when it comes to situations like this. Don't get me started on baby showers when the same person had 3 kids, 1 year apart, and 3 showers.

Comment

I always thought that there was an "unwritten rule ", so to speak, baby shower for the first baby only. My daughter has 2 children , but she only had a baby shower for the first one. She got married twice, she only had bridal showers for the first time around. Second wedding she and her dH put on the announcement, no gifts, give to your favorite charity in their name if you feel like it.
                I am with Jana on this, if you have lived together for that length of time, you got what you need, get married and invite your family / friends to a reception to celebrate. Forget the shower idea. JMHO

Comment

I have to agree with Jana and Sabine. I have refused many invitations trying to stand beside my moral values. I'm not a prude. Very open minded I believe, but I can't see handing out gifts for a couple that have decided to live together for 9 yrs. At least not if I was invited to do so. If I was close to them and loved the 2 of them then fine, I would be giving them a gift from the heart but not because they asked, but becuase I wanted to join in the celebration. Inviting people to a shower? Why? Basically asking for people to hand out money is the way I take that.

If it were me I would decline and send a pretty card. I'd do the same at the wedding too.

Can't have your cake an eat it too. Either be traditional or not. If not, then fine, but don't expect the goodies.

Comment

They have a 3 year old and she is having a bridal shower? WTH?

I guess a gift certificate to Victoria's secret is a good thing generic bridal shower thing, but it does not make sense for her to have one.
                    www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

WOW.. I'm glad that you weren't invited to MY shower!!

My DD, who was 13 at the time, wanted me to have a bridal shower. (I was divorced and my now DH & I dated for 2 yrs)
                      She, with the help of her Aunt, threw me a bridal shower - which was small (15 women).. and I gotta tell you.. I LOVED IT!!! (although when I found out about it.. I wasn't pleased)
                      We (all the girls) had a great time and my gifts were well needed.

I got new everyday glasses.. I got towels.. and sheets.. and mixing bowls... general household stuff that everyone NEEDS to replace! (and I still have the glasses.. and when my friend comes over we laugh about the FUN we had!!!)

Come one.. be happy that they finally decided to commit!

SJP... VS is a generic wedding gift?? OMG!!! How very personal ~
                      Tessa

Comment

Bridal Shower Present, not wedding present, read it again....

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

Tessa, all those things you mentioned are things you can get as a wedding present. Bridal Shower is a fun girly thing.

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

Originally posted by southernjewishprincess View Post
                            Bridal Shower is a fun girly thing.
                            Which is the exact reason there is nothing wrong with her having a bridal shower even though she is living with SO for 9 yrs. Should be a fun girly thing to do with a bunch of friends....if you don't feel like that type of friend then don't go and don't get a gift...frankly, I look for reasons to have a party so I'd be all over the bridal shower thing. JMHO.

Comment

I like the gift card idea to Bed & bath or Victoria secrets. The wedding is the following weekend. I always give beautiful picture frames.

Comment

Working...
                              X