• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about dog with arthritis

My Westie is about 18 yrs old and her arthritis is getting worse. She
    has been on 1/2 of a baby aspirin per day for awhile. I will be
    making an appointment to bring her back in to the vet. Just out of
    curiosity, for those of you who have or who have had a dog with
    arthritis... what did you do and how well did it work?

Thanks!
    Gina
    John 10:9
    www.opendoorchili.org

Re: Question about dog with arthritis

My 9 yr old Golden has arthritis in one of his ankles. I give him "Excel" glucosamine that you can get at Petsmart.

Comment

Our vet also recommended glucosamine for our Molly when it looked like she might be developing arthritis after being hit by a car (no broken bones but deep muscle damage to her left shoulder and leg)

Our vet also gave her 'Metacam'. It's a doggy ibuprophen. We haven't needed to resort to the glucosamine yet. When she exhibits symptoms, they've cleared up after a few days of Metacam.
      Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

I have two older dogs with arthritis and my vet said to give thim Rimadyl. They take the chewable one. It helps with this discomfort. One of the dogs had knee surgery and doesn't need it anymore.

Comment

I give beagle Princess Metacam p.r.n. (only as needed); it seems to work quickly and supposedly is a little less toxic to the liver than Rimadyl. One of my granddogs who is quite elderly is on Rimadyl, glucosamine and pain medication; both her hips are quite bad. We don't know her exact age other than "old" as DD rescued her just over a year ago.

Comment

I give my 5 year old LAB "Joint Support" with Glucosamine and Vitamin C.. I got it at Costco. One pill a day.

Comment

I give both my dog and horses glucosamine. You might also ask your vet about MSM. It's like Advil. It's a anti-inflamatory. Both people and animals take it. I give it to my horse, but my mom takes it too.

Comment

Lots of great advice given to you...........wishing you all the best. 18 yrs old....................that is a very long life for a little dog.......you are blessed and so is SHE!!!!!!!

Comment

could be a stupid question..what are the signs of artheritis..i have a terrier over 10yrs of age and she's having trouble with her back legs..

Comment

Originally posted by anglebutterfly View Post
                    could be a stupid question..what are the signs of artheritis..i have a terrier over 10yrs of age and she's having trouble with her back legs..
                    One of the signs is trouble getting up from a lying down position or having trouble walking. My Poppins had arthritis very bad in her back legs and had a very difficult time getting up. I would have to go over and help her up and you could tell she was very stiff when she would first start walking. There is another medicine that I switched her too after using Rimadyl, but I can't remember the name of it. You would have to ask your vet about the different ones available. She did very well on Rimadyl at first and then it didn't seem to be as effective so I switched her over to the other one and it worked very well up until she died at the ripe old age of 17. I miss my furbabies.
                    My mother's menu consisted of two choices - take it or leave it!

Comment

Working...
                    X