Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do teachers make??

What do teachers make...?

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.

He argued, 'What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?'

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: 'Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.'

To stress his point he said to another guest; 'You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?'

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, 'You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...)

'Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Order of Canada.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental...

You want to know what I make?' (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.)

I make kids wonder.

I make them question. I make them criticize.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math.

I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make them respect the environment.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

I make them treat others with fairness, justice and equity.

I make my students stand to sing O Canada because we live in the best country in the world .

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)

'Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant...

You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?'

Re: What do teachers make??

very good!!!
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ... but are felt in the heart. Helen Keller

Comment

I will pass that on to my daughter and daughter in law, both are teachers.

Comment

I'm a para educator...just e-mailed this to the my principle and a good teacher friend of mine.

AWESOME

Comment

Sending this to my daughter! I think we can never pay teachers enough!! They DO make a difference!!
          "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

As a teacher I thank you for this.

Our school just gave us shirts..they say

Teachers make all other professions possible.
            DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

www.myspace.com/luvkidrock4ever

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Very nice, I sent it to my Daughter who is also a teacher.
                I organize chores into catagories.
                Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

This was GREAT! Passing it on to my SIL who is a teacher... Thank you for sharing!
                  Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Taylor Mali does this "slam poem" all the time. I've watched it on youtube.com and it's pretty great.....alert....at the end, he uses profanity. I wish he didn't because I'd love to show this in a teacher's meeting, but he does...and I won't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU

Comment

My husband used to be a teacher. That's right- used to be. Because they don't make enough! Now he's a truck driver for an big company making more than twice what he did as a teacher and we both find that disgusting because teachers do so much and are so under appreciated! I know he misses teaching and it broke his heart to stop but he kept losing his job every time the schools cut budgets because he was a music teacher and people don't seem to think music is important enough to keep in the schools. At least he's happy with what he does now since he is a boy and boys like trucks!

Comment

My family lawyer used to also be a teacher...he makes much more now being a family attorney. Nice guy too!

BUT...my sister makes well over $150,000.00, not to mention her "bonus" of $15,000.00 + for coaching over the summer, FULL paid medical, dental, optical for LIFE with NO COPAYS, AND FULL PENSION.

BELIEVE ME when I tell you (in this case) the tax payers money was NOT well spent!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X