Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you water your lawn?

Just curious as to when if you do.

its 4 30 here and hotter than hades, but my grass is crunchy because DH is not in the lawn mood anymore at all. I meanwhile would like to maintain its appearance and no nothing of the watering business.

TIA!
    www.perfectlyposh/510sigpic

Re: Do you water your lawn?

Funny you should ask. Babe went to Home Depot and came home w/ PVC pipes that I assumed were for the plumbing job he was gonna do. I noticed yesterday that he's got the tubing along the driveway and hooked to a sprinkler at the end! I asked him if he was gonna bury those pipes? He said, "No, why?" I said, "Cause if you're not... they gotta go... they're heinous!!"

But to answer your question... Babe usually waters in the late afternoon so he can watch them go around... small pleasures.
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

water at night, otherwise you will cook it.

Comment

Our sprinkler system is on a timer, it starts at 4 am while it is cool. We water every other day if needed. Turn it off if we get rain.

Comment

We water the lawn and garden in the early morning, watering at night will encourage fungus' to start.

Comment

DH is a watering fool , but then we are very fortunate to be able to draw our water from the river for the yard. Watering restrictions have always been hard on him; in Clearwater we had a deep well drilled for the lawn. The restictions were more favorable for the ones of us with wells.

Yes, we have always watered early am; we too have always heard you got fungus if you watered late evenings. May be it's a southern thing .

Comment

No watering the lawn here but water the garden.

Comment

Like Shadow, I only water the garden or "newer" and "transplanted" things to keep them from dying.

DH refuses to water the lawn in the drought times (for us it's usually mid to end of July) because he said the grass just goes "dormant" during those weeks, so why waste the water? Plus he says that it ALWAYS starts growing again anyway by August and through the Fall. Personally, I think he likes to keep the grass in the "dormant" season so he doesn't have to cut the grass during those weeks
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

I'm in the country, with a well. It is good and deep, but we sort of do the country thing--lawn may be a nice name for our 'green space'. I do run a hose to the garden over the summer but am not a fanatical waterer. I grew up on a farm and usually follow the way my parents grew things--"If the good Lord meant it to grow, he would send enough rain to help it".
                  Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

I agree, Ginger. I used to talk w/ my neighbors when I lived in a townhouse. They were huge gardeners and used to walk on the lawn w/ shoes that aerated the lawn. We had city water and they used to ask me all the time WHY I refused to water my lawn. I told them I had to PAY for water. "How much could it possibly cost to water once a day?"

I replied, "You don't have 4 women (3 DDs and me) living in YOUR house, do you?"

They never asked me to water again!
                    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Yep, we water here. Well actually the "we" is not me as I am not the yard person in the family. Hubby waters the yard several times a week. He has worked so hard to have it look beautiful and green so he waters to keep it looking that way.

Comment

The automatic sprinklers come on before dawn 2x a week.

Comment

We water, automatic sprinkler system , early in the morning. I have to water all my potted plants every day now, because it's close to 100 ° every day. We are in a draught here in the SA area that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow View Post
                            No watering the lawn here but water the garden.
                            SAME HERE.
                            SHEL

Comment

Only time we water is for a few weeks in the fall when we overseed. The rest of the year, absolutely not. What a terrible waste of water. Water is for cooking, cleaning and drinking. Not for making your grass lawn develop weak, shallow roots so that you have to continue to water every other day to prevent it from dying. I get upset at regular lawn waterers, just so wasteful.

Fescue and bluegrass will go dormant during hot, dry summers. It will green up just fine in the cooler, wetter fall. Running constant sprinklers only weakens your lawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X